Compete Level

Advanced statistics are old news, friendship is the best way to judge players
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: official ice hockey participants thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:49 am 

Custom Title: shermer high school
Lost in the Summit finals again, my fourth finals loss. Every time by 1 goal (well, they scored an empty netter with like 20 seconds left) but goddamn. I know it's just rec hockey but I literally woke up thinking about the game this morning and am still super bummer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:10 am 

Had about four or five shots, one that I deflected through the goalies five hole and just fluttered/stopped right on the goal line without him touching it. Another I pulled in front of the net from the corner and got a rebound that I got all of and he did not move for but it hit his toe anyway and bounced way out so I couldn't give it another whack.

Their first goal came off a play where their D-man made a miracle swing on a puck three feet off the ice that was heading out of the zone and not only knocked it down to keep the play alive but sent it back deep and they got a bunch of chances before finally putting in a rebound.

We had a 3 on 1 on the PP and the stoner ref got in the way and knocked the puck off our guy's stick just as we were crossing their blueline.

Just a garbage bunch of luck the whole game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:04 am 

Custom Title: space, punctuated by planets
Stoner ref should be the name of your next side project

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:05 am 

Was this the tourney where Vish and his family were playing beastie boys songs during stoppages in play?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:48 am 

Yes! That was friggin awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:20 pm 

Maybe Stoned Ref is better as a band name

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:16 pm 

Yeah, that feels slightly better and I think also describes him more accurately. I did kinda forget that nobody else here (except Fury) would know who I'm talking about!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:22 pm 

Who is the best music industry affiliated hockey player?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:24 pm 

Nobody that plays in this tournament/league that is famous for music is particularly good. I guess Nathan Lawr is the best one I can think of.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:29 pm 

Always loved that guys music. Is he a stay at home dman or what?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:08 pm 

If he's a Dman he's offensively gifted but feel like he might be an F. I played them last like 4 years ago, hard to remember.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:09 pm 

We don't deserve our goalie. 3 Shutouts, 3 GA in 5 games:

http://www.exclaimhockey.ca/schedules.c ... dly%20Sins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 am 
Site Admin

Custom Title: Doggles TM Doggles
My team won its opening playoff game (double elimination with four teams making it) 2-1 on a goal with 13 seconds left.

This was the team with the guy who went berserk and punched me in the head a bunch.

One of their guys got called for a crease violation (basically if you're standing in the crease for 3-5 seconds, they blow the play dead and it's a whistle outside the zone) and went absolutely nuts. He was screaming at the ref -- took a surprising amount of time for him to get tossed, but even after he was tossed he kept threatening to cut the ref's throat or whatever. This was a different guy than the one that punched me in the head.

I was pretty happy about beating this fucking team.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

We had our second playoff game tonight. Because of various stupid things, we had seven skaters to the other team's fifteen. We won 4-2.

We scored 20 seconds into the game and I thought "This bodes well," since we're horrible at coming from behind. I scored our second goal from behind the net just before the first period ended, putting us back up 2-1. There was a loose puck after a shot, the goalie was out of position (because he was not very good), and I hustled and banked it in off him.

The periods are seventeen minutes, running time, and I played 16:20 of the second period, mostly at center.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:47 am 

I play pretty regularly at this wednesday night ball hockey now and got invited to play in this tournament way the fuck north this weekend, didn't want to because it's expensive to get up there but the organizer was really persistent eventually I agreed so I gotta get up at 5 tomorrow to get to the train I'm taking cuz the cheapest ticket was for a 6:30 train but from North London. and now I'm learning that they don't have enough jerseys and I feel like it's being suggested without saying it that the people without jerseys are going to have to arrange to go collect someone else's, I am at about the end of my rope with this fucking tournament.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:11 pm 

I would like a jersey and tournament update at your earliest convenience.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 pm 

Game 1 of my league finals is next saturday against whoever wins tonight. We finished dead last in a 6 team division but because the teams ahead of us didn't want a bye in the 2nd round we had to go straight to the finals. It's kind of a dumb rule... but I also get that teams that did better should be able to play more if they want.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:46 am 

Custom Title: i got sum fur
sping/summer is just starting for me.

got caught cheating off the post from a REAL bad angle, was anticipating the pass (think patrick kane GWG from the finals against philly in 2010). immediately thought of that video i think sutterfam posted. last goal they scored and we lost by one :/

i was subbing for a very low division and the D was atrocious. just opponents getting behind them and leaving them alone in the slot.

on the plus side my buddy got a side gig driving the zamboni at my local rink so i can do some S&G on for free. hadn't played for close to a month and felt sooo out of shape. y'all prolly know this but i've invited some (non hockey playing) friends to my games. they're always surprised how sweaty/exhausted i get when "i just stand there for most of the game" lol.

oh yeah also there was a stoppage in play so i skated to the bench to grab a water bottle while both teams changed lines. dickhead ref skates over and give me a warning cos it wasn't "the end of the period or a time out"

motherfucker i did not delay the game eat a dick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:50 am 

Custom Title: i got sum fur
this is the same ref that previously called a penalty for TOO MUCH MAN in a fucking beer league (it was just a sloppy change). gimme a break !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:39 am 

sutterfamily wrote:
I would like a jersey and tournament update at your earliest convenience.

I was able to get away with using a green t-shirt with a strip of white tape attached (#1) but besides that it was just as I'd feared, meaning we had too many players and I paid the equivalent of like 100 canadian bucks and woke up at 5am to travel 3 hours to a dead city to play on a team that didn't need players. or anyway there were 11 forwards so they did the 2 centres 3 sets of wingers, which is bullshit because it meant two players got way more game time than any winger did and also the surface was a roller hockey rink, so pretty compact, and there was no icing so the standard 'breakout' was just three forwards standing at the far blueline while a dman carried the ball a couple paces out out of his own end to take a clapper toward the opposing end. in other words there was no need to differentiate between forward positions at least as far as ice time went, it wasn't like the centre was dropping down deep for breakout passes or anything. games were 20 mins with only last two stop-time and I'd say I averaged about 5.5 mins of 'ice'time a game and just felt completely removed from all of it, wasn't making any good plays and also there was just constant :carlyle: style screaming from the more experienced players at the bench to ice the puck, stop stickhandling so close to our end, get it deep, it's one thing to make such an investment in so little actual return it's another to be told to stop trying to play hockey like it's fun when you do get to be involved in the play.

and then when I got back to London last night I realised I'd left a glove a behind somewhere further back than the train to London so the final bill was like £60 travel + £10 tournament fee + my hockey gloves + most of the affinity I had for the group of people that I was enjoying playing wednesday night pickup ball hockey with. like when these guys were leaving in a cab after the last game I told em I'd take the bus instead cuz I'd bought a day bus pass, which was true, but mostly I didn't want to end up having to sit with them on the train back. so I suspect the feeling is mutual.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:55 am 

and the reason I felt so wronged was I'd been asked repeatedly to play and when I said I don't have really £50 to spend on a whim and don't really have gear the would-be coach said I could use his extra stick and that he'd put me down on the tourney list even if I couldn't make it as a maybe cuz they were desperate. then when it was clear there weren't enough jerseys for everyone I emailed him and said seems like there are lots of players do you actually need me to play and he said yeah.

but I liked the city anyway, dead as it was, I like all of the north of England's hollowed out former cities of industry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

So my team got to the final of our season. It was double elimination, so we got two shots at beating the team that we previously beat with seven skaters (as told above). The first game was last week, they suddenly had two guys who were not on their team the previous week (playoff rosters are supposed to be limited to guys who played ten regular season games) who were waaaay fucking better than anyone else. We looked them up -- one was a former college player who also plays for a high-level team in our league, the other was a guy who played 11 regular season games and had 3 assists. The second one didn't smell right, so for the second game we figured we'd challenge his eligibility.

One very important league rule to mention: if you get three minor penalties, you're out of the game.

I have to stick with our "backup" goaltender, since our main goalie has a back injury and is out till July. The backup played really well in the 7 skaters game, but he has a tendency to lose his focus / yell at refs / do dumb shit, so I very much wanted to get a different sub goalie. But they were busy, so we hoped for the best.

We get an early goal, but then take a dumb holding penalty. Their power play is super good because they put their best guys out there and make legitimate hockey plays instead of whatever bullshit my team does. They score pretty quickly on the power play. Shortly after, our goalie covers the puck, holds it for a couple seconds, no whistle, they come in and slash his glove. No penalty, but our goalie starts flipping out about it. He eventually calms down and play continues. I put us back up with a goal from the slot near the end of the first.

We challenge that guy's eligibility at the end of the first. They're incredulous about it and say he's going to the room to get a credit card. It's supposed to be a driver's license, and I point this out, like "Uh, hey, he could be holding literally anyone's credit card and say that's his name. He needs a photo ID" but I'm pretty sure they end up accepting whatever non-photo ID he presents. We take an immediate penalty off the opening whistle of the period. They score very quickly, 2-2. Shortly after, our D does the same "hold the guy / pull him down" move again, another call. We're on the penalty kill and one of our guys causes their non-ringer D to fumble the puck out of the zone, so he's about to go on a 2 on 1 but the defenseman holds his stick and pulls it out of his hands. There's no call, which is insane. Puck goes the other way, our goalie does something stupid I didn't see from the bench, and gets a penalty. We're on a 5 on 3, they do a nice passing play and score. 3-2. We tie it up not too long after, but then one of their guys makes a nice play and puts them up 4-3 going into the third.

I do the "Just focus on our team, don't worry about the refs, don't worry about whether their ringers are eligible, just make plays" speech before the third. Our goalie is getting unhinged and basically steps out and knocks someone down when they're skating by his crease. We manage to kill that penalty off. With about six minutes left, we get a point blank chance that their goalie somehow saves. Puck comes down the other way, goes behind the net, their guy skates through the crease, our goalie levels him. Third penalty, he's kicked out. 4:30 left in the game and they call it, because apparently once the goalie is kicked out, the game is over. They get the trophy.

I can't fucking process this whatsoever, we would gladly go out there with six skaters and no goalie and take our chances than just end it, but that's the rule? Apparently?

In related news, my team is in the market for a new goalie.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:09 am 

Jesus, that is some of the beer league-iest hockey storying ever. Just hits all the right notes - horrible officiating, some guy losing his mind, ringers, and best of all some insane rule that makes no sense!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:13 am 

We lost game 1 of our finals 3-1 (I scored the lone goal on an extremely poorly barfed out rebound). Was against a team that I generally hate playing but to be honest it was a fun game. They're unquestionably a better team than us and have some really good players (whereas one of our best players had sports hernia surgery and sucks now and another stopped showing up) but we hung in there. They scored two PP goals, that was the difference.

Anyway, our league only has ice until the end of April it seems so if we win game 2 at 8:00pm saturday, game 3 will be played... at 10:00pm that same night.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:24 am 
Site Admin

sutterfamily wrote:
Jesus, that is some of the beer league-iest hockey storying ever. Just hits all the right notes - horrible officiating, some guy losing his mind, ringers, and best of all some insane rule that makes no sense!

It's pretty depressing how bummed I am about it this morning. After they called it, I just sat on the bench, kind of stunned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next