Compete Level

Advanced statistics are old news, friendship is the best way to judge players
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: official ice hockey participants thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Custom Title: Doggles TM Doggles
At some point during the third period, bambamdiggadiggadam (who was on my line) and I had a conversation on the bench that was basically

"We really need to stop taking penalties, they're really good on the power play"
"Yeah, it's too bad that we aren't the guys who were going to take the penalties anyway, they're all on the ice"

I used to be physical / scrappy in high school (when there was checking) but I just don't see the point in taking dumb penalties in a beer league game. I also don't get yelling at the officials, it almost never helps (I say almost never because one time our opponent argued their way into us getting a matching penalty and all I could think was "Officials, what have you wrought?").

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:07 am 

Scootin' Dan Cleary wrote:
So my team got to the final of our season. It was double elimination, so we got two shots at beating the team that we previously beat with seven skaters (as told above). The first game was last week, they suddenly had two guys who were not on their team the previous week (playoff rosters are supposed to be limited to guys who played ten regular season games) who were waaaay fucking better than anyone else. We looked them up -- one was a former college player who also plays for a high-level team in our league, the other was a guy who played 11 regular season games and had 3 assists. The second one didn't smell right, so for the second game we figured we'd challenge his eligibility.

One very important league rule to mention: if you get three minor penalties, you're out of the game.

I have to stick with our "backup" goaltender, since our main goalie has a back injury and is out till July. The backup played really well in the 7 skaters game, but he has a tendency to lose his focus / yell at refs / do dumb shit, so I very much wanted to get a different sub goalie. But they were busy, so we hoped for the best.

We get an early goal, but then take a dumb holding penalty. Their power play is super good because they put their best guys out there and make legitimate hockey plays instead of whatever bullshit my team does. They score pretty quickly on the power play. Shortly after, our goalie covers the puck, holds it for a couple seconds, no whistle, they come in and slash his glove. No penalty, but our goalie starts flipping out about it. He eventually calms down and play continues. I put us back up with a goal from the slot near the end of the first.

We challenge that guy's eligibility at the end of the first. They're incredulous about it and say he's going to the room to get a credit card. It's supposed to be a driver's license, and I point this out, like "Uh, hey, he could be holding literally anyone's credit card and say that's his name. He needs a photo ID" but I'm pretty sure they end up accepting whatever non-photo ID he presents. We take an immediate penalty off the opening whistle of the period. They score very quickly, 2-2. Shortly after, our D does the same "hold the guy / pull him down" move again, another call. We're on the penalty kill and one of our guys causes their non-ringer D to fumble the puck out of the zone, so he's about to go on a 2 on 1 but the defenseman holds his stick and pulls it out of his hands. There's no call, which is insane. Puck goes the other way, our goalie does something stupid I didn't see from the bench, and gets a penalty. We're on a 5 on 3, they do a nice passing play and score. 3-2. We tie it up not too long after, but then one of their guys makes a nice play and puts them up 4-3 going into the third.

I do the "Just focus on our team, don't worry about the refs, don't worry about whether their ringers are eligible, just make plays" speech before the third. Our goalie is getting unhinged and basically steps out and knocks someone down when they're skating by his crease. We manage to kill that penalty off. With about six minutes left, we get a point blank chance that their goalie somehow saves. Puck comes down the other way, goes behind the net, their guy skates through the crease, our goalie levels him. Third penalty, he's kicked out. 4:30 left in the game and they call it, because apparently once the goalie is kicked out, the game is over. They get the trophy.

I can't fucking process this whatsoever, we would gladly go out there with six skaters and no goalie and take our chances than just end it, but that's the rule? Apparently?

In related news, my team is in the market for a new goalie.

Quoted for new page

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 am 

I've lived every part of that story... but never all in the same game! Kudos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:02 pm 

Custom Title: shermer high school
Scootin' Dan Cleary wrote:
I also don't get yelling at the officials, it almost never helps (I say almost never because one time our opponent argued their way into us getting a matching penalty and all I could think was "Officials, what have you wrought?").

Yelling at refs is the worst. While it is 100% that most of them are terrible, they are equally bad at reffing as the people yelling at them are at hockey.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah recognizing that the level of officiating is commensurate to the level of play is essential.

That said, one of the officials we had last night is an absolute waste of space who either calls nothing or calls the wrong thing.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:33 am 

Custom Title: i got sum fur
tues night got a high/hard slapshot almost perfectly square to the forehead. knocked me right on my ass. refs stop play and everyone crowds around like i'm bedridden in hospital. i tell ref no my ears just ring, one moment please.

reg end 3-3, we have newish format (3 on 3 OT 5min running clock). games used to go to a SO during tie play , but i like games ending in a tie TBH. then we go drink beers in parking lot. USA

brain damage? no, money down!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:41 am 
Site Admin

I think it's mostly because our winter season just ended in the shittiest way possible and then I immediately had to deal with getting the summer roster together / bug people to pay / sign free agents / get a new goalie, but I could really use a break from hockey right now. I played pick-up last night and felt kind of listless most of the night.

Also I don't play defenseman in my league games but end up playing it a good amount at pick-up, and it's baffling to me that I've gotten good at certain aspects of playing D (angling incoming forwards, taking away passing/shooting lanes, poke-checking in one on ones) while not getting much better at others (offensive zone defensive positioning [I always hedge to cover back], break-out passes [although I don't blame myself here because people just skate up to the neutral zone and stand still]).

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:45 pm 

Custom Title: Dressing room cancer
One of the dudes from my old timers league has summer ice and I went out the other week to try it. It was mostly good, low key but there were two young guys who were on the same team who ruined it by being showboats. If they had the puck they would just dangle every one on the ice and if they lost it they would bust their ass to get it back even if it was from the 50 year old slow fat guy. At one point one of them came in one on two and did the thing where he turned his stick over and played the puck with the toe of his stick like it was ringette, just a total douche move. I ended up leaving 15 minutes before the end because I was getting so pissed off and haven't been back since. Why are there people like this?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Ugh there’s a guy in my league that does the playing it with the toe move and I think I should be able to slash his stick in half unpenalized

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:37 am 

Jr scored a couple goals in his 3 on 3 game yesterday and did the Kuznetsov albatross celebration after the first one.

I gave him SHIT because they were down 7-3 and playing like crap at that point. So naturally, the team gets inspired and comes back to win 9-7, proving once again that the 10 year olds are awesome idiots and dad is :boucher:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:13 pm 

My one team's unofficial mascot (via much beer/weed) is Spyhawk, a bird, so you'd better believe we'll be doing that Kuznetsov move all year.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:29 pm 

a freak incident occurred on sunday and i got a slapshot right under my (bare) right shoulder blade. arm is functioning at like 80% right now. i'm learning so much about muscles i took for granted uuuuuugh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:45 pm 

y'all still skating this summer?

i got $20 to sub for a C-league team at johnny's ice house monday. they have a bar there and i was drinking before the game. not sure how much it affected my play but we lost.

for some reason the bartender refused to serve me after the game. sigh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

I’m playing in the summer and my team is getting eviscerated most weeks. The trickle-down of higher level players is insane in the summer and every week we play some team with a couple of B-level guys who play at 50% and still tear us apart.

Last night we had two actual defensemen in our lineup so the other natural center and I both played D. I hadn’t played a full game at D since high school, probably. I wasn’t great but I generally did better than I expected.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:45 am 

I too am skating and getting caved on a weekly basis. We were playing B division last winter and were middling and then lost our two top scorers (probably 40 goals between them) and then our captain has accidentally registered us in A division for the summer (the names of the division give no indication as to what calibre they are and the website is so garbage.

Anyway, most games start with us down 4 or 5 to 0 before the other team realizes it would be pointless to keep trying. Two weeks ago we got dominated by Nikolai Borschevsky's sons, Nikolai Borschevsky Jr and some other Borschevsky. Last week their top centre was wearing European pro pants. Basically, we play against a bunch of very good players who have systems and played high level. We play "lob the puck up the middle and hope for the best".

The only upside I guess is that we're so bad they play pretty clean. The league lists suspensions and there's a few guys out, one currently for "Fighting Major + Spearing Major" as the infraction. Good times!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:38 am 
Site Admin

At least there's a sense of humor to "Well, got Borschevsky'd tonight."

I remember playing against a guy in European pro pants in a tournament and working my ass off while he skating 25% effort.

Tonight my team only lost 3-1, with their third goal coming with a minute left. This team of course had the same high-level guy that tore us up last week. I'm just going to say Fuck That Guy.

I've had off/on pain in my left wrist for the last week and I'm fairly sure now that it's tendonitis. It sucks, I do not recommend it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:37 am 

I'm still playing one a week over the summer too. I find that once a week just isn't enough to keep in game shape. My legs and stamina are fine but my hands are off.

We always seem to play up a division in summer league against younger guys. This year we don't have any younger guys ourselves and are only ever 8 or 9 skaters, so it's going about as well as could be expected.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:14 am 

Custom Title: space, punctuated by planets
sutterfamily wrote:
Two weeks ago we got dominated by Nikolai Borschevsky's sons, Nikolai Borschevsky Jr and some other Borschevsky.

Jeb Borschevsky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 am 

I couldn't spare for my bud's team a couple weeks ago so somebody brought Stéphane Matteau instead. Pretty good trade up!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:06 pm 

got paid $20 to sub goal for A league. also we won!

we're down 3 goals toward the end of the second. i make a crucial breakaway save right before the end of the period and we rally back. final score was 7-5. which admittedly five goals is way too many

these boys could skate. unfortunately the name of the team is "cougar cruisers"

:emery:

RIP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:12 pm 

apparently they are in second place but waaay behind the eskimo bros.

but ahead of the backdoor bandits by a decent margin. these fucking team names jfc. and apparently there are only 4 teams in the division, probably cos it's summer. i dunno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:07 am 

y'all tried this?

https://www.livebarn.com

the league i play in just subscribed this season. it's kinda pricey unless everyone on the team splits the cost. they don't even offer a trial period.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:09 pm 

club lonely wrote:
y'all tried this?

https://www.livebarn.com

the league i play in just subscribed this season. it's kinda pricey unless everyone on the team splits the cost. they don't even offer a trial period.

What is the cost per season?

Jr was playing in a tournament in the spring while I was in Sweden for work. A few of the games were available on LiveBarn, but it was going to be something like $40 Cdn per game to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:11 pm 

So I finally retired my hockey bag from the 90's and treated myself to a Pacific Rink bag. It's definitely on the expensive side, but it is fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:55 pm 

Never heard of them before but, while that seems too expensive, it looks real nice!

I got new skates at the end of the summer and caved and got the expensive ones. They're obviously awesome but the biggest impact is that my old pair were a full size too big for me - switched from 9 to 8 (both Bauer supremes) and that's made a huge difference in my acceleration. I don't think I'm any faster at my top speed but I can get there a lot quicker now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next