Compete Level

Advanced statistics are old news, friendship is the best way to judge players
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545  Next
 Post subject: Re: Truckin' the Nuttz 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Custom Title: Doggles TM Doggles
I am not in Toronto and won't be able to make it but I do want to play hockey because my game tonight was a forfeit. The other team couldn't find a goalie, which was awesome because I spent two days emailing / texting people until I found a goalie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 pm 

Custom Title: space, punctuated by planets
practice wrote:
Anyone in Toronto wanna play some hockey this week is would help if you don't have a job and can play mid afternoon

New page calling all dads

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 am 

Every road hockey goalie dreams of getting that beer league callup

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:12 am 

Anyone who doesn't have what it takes to suit up at duff gardens is free to buy me a drink at their favourite bar and also talk home remedies for eczema

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:01 pm 

Custom Title: Celestial Incinerators
Any reason you guys are looking to move NA?

I, too, will probably have to in 1-2 years. Being tied to a career academic isn't always great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

FA is looking to change jobs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 pm 

She’s at HAAAHVAAAD or something now?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:48 pm 

Last conference my wife was at she was in contact about post docs at some Uni in Atlanta and one in Calgary:trotz:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Cacophony wrote:
She’s at HAAAHVAAAD or something now?

Em Eye Tee

She previously worked for a Hravrad research lab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

Cacophony wrote:
Last conference my wife was at she was in contact about post docs at some Uni in Atlanta and one in Calgary:trotz:

Yeah FA mentioned that GA Tech is hiring in her field but neither of us want to live in Atlanta. I went there once for a wedding and got sunburned in the shade.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 am 

What kind of person doesn't wanna face off against me Mano e Mano tomorrow at 1230 at duff gardens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 pm 

I'm super jealous of that ODR pic you posted on twitter Practice.

I got home from taking the fam to Punta Cana and the rinks in my neighbourhood still weren't ready. I was so pissed off, last night I shovelled out a piece of my front yard and started flooding so at least Jr will have a shooting lane to play on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:31 pm 

Me So Hronek wrote:
Cacophony wrote:

Yeah FA mentioned that GA Tech is hiring in her field but neither of us want to live in Atlanta. I went there once for a wedding and got sunburned in the shade.

Yeah same. Atlanta is a nice enough city as far as stuff going on is concerned, but I could not survive with their horrid weather year round.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:51 pm 

Custom Title: Moderate-to-Severe
I couldn't survive their lack of left-hand turn lanes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

I was just taking with FA about how her commute would be exponentially shorter almost anywhere else (currently about an hour each way due to traffic) and I think Atlanta might be the exception

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:11 pm 

Me So Hronek wrote:
I was just taking with FA about how her commute would be exponentially shorter almost anywhere else (currently about an hour each way due to traffic) and I think Atlanta might be the exception

Oh absolutely. If you care about that then boy avoid Seattle. Great city but unless you can live close in don’t bother. Also they are due for that mega earthquake up there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Cacophony wrote:
Me So Hronek wrote:

Oh absolutely. If you care about that then boy avoid Seattle. Great city but unless you can live close in don’t bother. Also they are due for that mega earthquake up there.

I hadn't considered earthquakes, fuck. I've only been out there twice, didn't get a great sense of where the University is vs. where nearby housing would be. I just looked at a map but didn't get any sense of where we could afford a house / where we'd want to buy a house.

Pros for Seattle: Comparable in terms of culture to Boston; could drive to Portland / Vancouver / Twin Peaks filming locations; if Juno ever reunites I wouldn't have to fly there for the show
Cons for Seattle: Cost of living / housing is higher than anywhere else that's been brought up (although Boston-area house prices are insane, too); it's really fucking far away; I felt the rain / dreariness when I was there for like four days

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

A friend of mine just moved back to Bellingham (where she grew up), I didn't realize it was 1.5 hours from Seattle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Caco is there anywhere you're hoping to end up next? Is your situation that Lady Cacophony will be doing a post-doc somewhere for a few years, then trying to find a permanent job?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:50 pm 

Me So Hronek wrote:
Caco is there anywhere you're hoping to end up next? Is your situation that Lady Cacophony will be doing a post-doc somewhere for a few years, then trying to find a permanent job?

We've talked about New England somewhere but I don't have any sort of list of places I'd like to end up. Still seems too far away. Yeah she'd be looking to do a post-doc for maybe 2 years before moving on to the next phase. Gotta think of the kids too since mine are a bit older (13 & 6). Personally I'd like to be in a smaller-ish city with close options as far as a larger city is concerned. Mainly to keep housing costs down so we can finally pay off some of our debt that has added up over the years she has been paid practically nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:56 pm 

I'm not an expert on Seattle by any means but my brother in law had siblings that were in the Ballard neighborhood we used to visit and I really liked it there. Didn't seem too outlandishly expensive but was still pretty close in and didn't take long to get places. The Uni is NE of downtown and not too far from there.

I really liked Bellingham a lot and would totally live there. Sure kinda far from Seattle, but close to Vancouver and lots of cool places in the sound. Washington is a great state and I love it there. Portland was the fucking best but the rest of Oregon outside of a few places on the coast and along the Columbia (like Hood River) Oregon was kinda crappy. Bend/Sisters was also nice but I didn't spend much time there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Cacophony wrote:
Me So Hronek wrote:

We've talked about New England somewhere but I don't have any sort of list of places I'd like to end up. Still seems too far away. Yeah she'd be looking to do a post-doc for maybe 2 years before moving on to the next phase. Gotta think of the kids too since mine are a bit older (13 & 6). Personally I'd like to be in a smaller-ish city with close options as far as a larger city is concerned. Mainly to keep housing costs down so we can finally pay off some of our debt that has added up over the years she has been paid practically nothing.

How'd your kids adjust to Champaign-Urbana? I assume the housing costs there are at least significantly cheaper than Portland. I remember renting a "garden" apartment for my junior/senior years of college that was three bedrooms / $450 total. I didn't mind C-U but I do think it would be hard to move to a college town in the middle of nowhere now that I've been in the Boston area for almost 14 years.

I posted about this in the HPN Parents thread in the members forum, but I am concerned about how my kids will handle it. Kid Artillery is almost seven and she loves school, gets along with almost everyone in her class, and has a lot of friends in our small neighborhood. She is also very, very emotional and has brought up on many occasions how she never wants to leave our house, even when she goes to college / is done with college. We kind of nod and say "OK" to that. She adjusts very quickly to being in a new place when we're on vacation or whatever and then gets emotional about having to leave that place, so I think in the long-run she'll be fine. Neu! 15 has enjoyed his first year of preschool and lives next to his best friend so I'm sure he'd also be upset, but I doubt it would be as severe or last as long. We're trying to hold off as long as possible about telling them, but even then I assume we'll have a few months in which they're moping here before we move.

What I got from the HPN thread was that moving is a lot tougher after you're ten or so. I never moved growing up, so I wouldn't know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:41 am 

I moved when I was 12 went from being deputy mayor of London St South in Hamilton to a tub wearing snowpants all day in Ottawa halfway through grade 6 (it was colder than I knew possible)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 pm 

Custom Title: shermer high school
I would have liked to have played out of doors hockey with you but I was working and also forgot to log into the board for a week. Didn't even know you were in town at all! Still?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:37 am 

no i was only in town a few days, long enough to show some pissant kids what was what on the outdoor ice

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 540, 541, 542, 543, 544, 545  Next