Official 2021 NHL Offseason Thread: Welcome to the party, pal

Where ideas hang out, and do whatever!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Re: Official 2021 NHL Offseason Thread: Welcome to the party, pal

Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

The conditions on the 1st are interesting -- it's the higher of the two picks, unless that pick is in the top ten. So they're not getting a high lottery pick.

Dvorak's better than Kotkaniemi now, but I genuinely don't know him well enough to know if there's some untapped offensive ceiling. He paced for more this season (presumably because he was the #1 C in Arizona for some of the season) but he seems like a 35-40 point 2C / 3C tweener. I assume he'll be the 2C behind Suzuki in Montreal and play with some good wingers, so maybe he'll push up to 50 points. The Habs have a tendency to turn middling middle-six centers into productive offensive players.

I could see all of the teams involved here being losers, honestly. The Coyotes trade another young, good player for magic beans, which may or may not pay off but definitely won't do anything for them this season, when they will be Fucking Terrible and totally unwatchable. The Habs gave up on a young player with more potential than either a mid-to-late first or a 2C/3C tweener. The Canes are overpaying a guy who so far has just shown flashes, not consistency, and could very easily be an expensive mistake driven by petty hubris.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

NHL: You've run the Coyotes so poorly that the city didn't renew your lease and now we're looking at moving you
Coyotes: Oh yeah? Who's going to want this horrible franchise cursing their city?
NHL: You've got us there!
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Yeah it’s an absolute mess. You are right about CD. He will get the Habs 40 pts or so but the fans will hate him. Could be wrong as he is now free from that poisoned organization. Still a big price.
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Grand Moff Larkin wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:15 pm
The conditions on the 1st are interesting -- it's the higher of the two picks, unless that pick is in the top ten. So they're not getting a high lottery pick.

Dvorak's better than Kotkaniemi now, but I genuinely don't know him well enough to know if there's some untapped offensive ceiling. He paced for more this season (presumably because he was the #1 C in Arizona for some of the season) but he seems like a 35-40 point 2C / 3C tweener. I assume he'll be the 2C behind Suzuki in Montreal and play with some good wingers, so maybe he'll push up to 50 points. The Habs have a tendency to turn middling middle-six centers into productive offensive players.

I could see all of the teams involved here being losers, honestly. The Coyotes trade another young, good player for magic beans, which may or may not pay off but definitely won't do anything for them this season, when they will be Fucking Terrible and totally unwatchable. The Habs gave up on a young player with more potential than either a mid-to-late first or a 2C/3C tweener. The Canes are overpaying a guy who so far has just shown flashes, not consistency, and could very easily be an expensive mistake driven by petty hubris.
In response to the offensive upside point I’ve watched enough to say they thought he had one but it’s not there. Maybe he proves everyone wrong!
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

I like Dvorak but I'm kinda surprised Arizona got a first for him.

From Montreal's perspective would you rather Danault at $5.5 or Dvorak at $4.5?
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

The Coyotes have a little over 28 million committed for 22/23. Their only NHL RFAs per Cap Friendly are Crouse, Fischer, Hayton, Capobianco, and Korenar. Getting to the cap floor will take some doing.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Alexei Ca$hin wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:30 pm
I like Dvorak but I'm kinda surprised Arizona got a first for him.

From Montreal's perspective would you rather Danault at $5.5 or Dvorak at $4.5?
I assume Danault's defensive impact is considerably better, but it's less the AAV than the term. I'd rather have Dvorak (at age 25) for four years than Danault (at age 28) for six. Like, for this season? I'd rather have Danault.

I saw one Habs fan say (presumably not sarcastically) that "for that money, Dvorak better score 40 goals." I'm pretty sure he's going to have unreasonable expectations from day one. I think you expect him to get 38 points like he's done pretty much every year and you're happy if he gets more. If Kotkaniemi is out-producing Dvorak the fans are going to be ruthless about it.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Rowsdower wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:40 am
The Coyotes have a little over 28 million committed for 22/23. Their only NHL RFAs per Cap Friendly are Crouse, Fischer, Hayton, Capobianco, and Korenar. Getting to the cap floor will take some doing.
I assume they'll just continue taking other teams' dogshit contracts along with picks. I could probably figure out who'll end up there if I perused CapFriendly long enough but Jake Gardiner seems like a safe bet.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

It's a Christmas miracle
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Reading an article on The Athletic about Kotkaniemi and this comment really threw me
Gord H.
Sep 6
9 likes

Galchenyuk was being externally coached by his ever present father when in MTL. That had to be confusing.
KK’s father was an active coach in Finland. I think he too had influence.
Moral of the story, have a closer look at the families of your picks.
"Make sure your players don't have coaches in their family" ??
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

As an FYI on an old topic, I think I managed to cancel my NHL Live subscription auto-renewal. If you log in to your account, there doesn't seem to be any way to cancel. But if you click on the "Review Your Account" link in the "Your subscription is set to auto-renew" email, it gives you an option to cancel. But there is no confirmation or anything so I have no idea if it was successful.
patrick cokane

Post by patrick cokane »

flames sign gudbranson!
linseman

Post by linseman »

thx for the heads-up, ca$hin

i am no longer an NHL live subscriber
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

In the US it seems to be combined with ESPN now, I haven't gotten any emails about it. I'd say "they won't auto-subscribe me" but man they're going to find a way
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

linseman wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:25 pm
thx for the heads-up, ca$hin

i am no longer an NHL live subscriber
Nice. That's a combined $360 CDN saved!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin