Compete Level

Advanced statistics are old news, friendship is the best way to judge players
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Podcasts, podcasts, podcasts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:09 pm 

Custom Title: shermer high school
I dunno I listen to this and they basically make my time on the TTC awesome. With news that How Did This Get Made going from bi-weekly to monthly I definitely need something new for Tuesdays. What do you all listen to?

Monday: Comedy Bang Bang
Tuesday: ??
Wednesday: Nerd Poker, U Talkin' U2 2 me?*
Thursday: Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project*
Friday: ??

* these two are new and so fucking funny, especially the U2 one.

Post subject: Re: Podcasts, podcasts, podcasts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:11 pm 

Also just post in here when there's a great episode of something.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:27 pm 

Custom Title: Moderate-to-Severe
This may not be for everybody but I used to listen to Sklarbro Country pretty regularly. Mostly sports-themed with some pop culture stuff and they usually have a comedian for a guest and a segment with a fake interview of someone impersonating a celebrity.

Norm MacDonald had one of the best podcasts I'd ever heard but he only did twelve episodes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 pm 

The one that's up on youtube? Shit yeah that was amazing. He said he was gonna do more episodes recently, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:35 pm 

Yep that's the one. He blackmailed people on Twitter saying he'd bring back the podcast if people liked his son's comedy troupe on Facebook or followed them on Twitter or something and he never followed through.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

Custom Title: Doggles TM Doggles
Podcats podcats podcats get yr podcats

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

I've given up on subscribing to podcasts. I listen to episodes of CBB, WTF, How Did This Get Made, You Made It Weird, and Kreative Kontrol depending on the guest, but I just don't have the opportunities to listen to five hours a week anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:58 pm 

I got way too in to podcasts two years ago and it got to the point where I was stressing out just trying to keep up with all of the episodes. When I got my current job and dumped a ton of media out of my life and i'm glad I did. Now all I listen to is The Crabfeast on Tuesdays. If I'm really bored on a day off I'll go look for a good guest on WTF and listen to it while I go for a walk.

To this day I'm still too addicted to some media though. If I were to go on a vacation I'd be worried about missing shows which have daily episodes unless I have a way to watch/listen to them while I'm out of of town. I haven't taken a vacation in 6 years though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Who'd want to leave Calgary anyway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:02 pm 

User Paul: Takin' Staycations on the Reg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:57 am 

Custom Title: The clutchiest
The U2 one is worth checking out? I mean, I'm not surprised in the least given the chemistry Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman have. Will have to delve into it. Andy Daly's Pilots are indeed absolutely fantastic. The Travel Bug with August Lindt was literally one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Love the off-mic Paul F. Tompkins laughter throughout.

Tuesdays are my Stop Podcasting Yourself day. It's kind of a cozy blanket for me -- not uproariously funny all the time like an Aukerman podcast, but pretty fun and charming. Go into the back catalogue and find the episodes with PFT to ease into it if you want -- it's the kind of show that might take a few episodes to get into sync with it.

Fridays usually involve listening to Julie Klausner's How Was Your Week? later on in the day (it gets posted early-mid afternoon I think). It was very much a show that I started listening to as a result of my ladyfriend. I don't usually listen all the way through (the interviews at the end can kind of drag a bit if I'm not into the guest) but I find her monologues to cap off the week pretty well. Not my *favourite* show ever, but it's good to have a different (read: woman's) perspective on culture and life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:03 am 

U Talkin' U2 2 Me is amazing and my favourite (not funny in the same was as the August Lindt one was, but in some ways more enjoyable because you don't have to pay super close attention the whole time to get the jokes. Slower pace but equally funny, maybe?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:06 am 

Custom Title: The clutchiest
Yeah, CBB and ADPPP require pretty close attention to be paid to them. I'll only start to listen if I know I won't be distracted and have a lot of time to spend with it uninterrupted.

Subscribed to U Talkin'... look forward to it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:10 pm 

Custom Title: aggravated spearing, 46 min
u talkin' u2 2 me has been incredible

i think cbb, nerd poker and who charted are the only regular ones i listen to every episode of, but i am subscribed to a ridiculous number of podcasts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:59 am 

Custom Title: space, punctuated by planets
BBC global news is a good daily news podcast and the AM version is posted at midnight GMT so you can have it on your listening device for the next morning's commute.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/globalnews

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

I went from listening to most episodes of Doug Love Movies to quitting in entirely in a flash a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:24 pm 

Custom Title: valiant defender of NHL execs
I haven't listened to WTF or CBB for awhile now for no real reason, and I just listen to Stop Podcasting Yourself now

it's so laid back and there's very few changes ever, and they talk about Vancouver stuff a lot. Dave Schumka is really quick-witted too. it's too relaxing

I also used to listen to Memory Palace and 99% Invisible which I can see myself getting back into at some point

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:28 pm 

Custom Title: valiant defender of NHL execs
only gripe I have with Stop Podcasting Yourself is they have some really bro-ish guests. overall the episodes with female guests are usually way better for some reason.

also I'm scared Dave and Graeme are gonna have a big fight and end the podcast. just a couple episodes they had a fight where they each seriously called the other guy an idiot over Graeme thinking it was Family Circle and not Family Circus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

People listening to U Talkin U2--do you like U2? Did the podcast make you listen to those records again?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:03 pm 

I would say I have the smallest amount of U2 appreciation without thinking they suck. A decent handful of really great songs and then a bunch of crap I could care less about.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:01 pm 

I am now listening to U Talkin' U2 To Me? and thoroughly enjoying it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:39 pm 

Custom Title: Hockey Facts.
a lot of time i think about the opening to vertigo:

*drums*
*palm muting*
UNO
DOS
TRES
CATORCE

NANANA NANA NANA NANANANANANA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

I grew up liking U2, or at least War / Unforgettable Fire / Joshua Tree / Achtung Baby. The rest of the pre-Achtung Baby stuff I either never bothered to track down (or my uncle didn't have cassette dubs handy to nab) or knew I wouldn't care for (Rattle & Hum, the videos for which I did not like at all).

My opinion really hasn't changed on the band or those records. I still enjoy the majority of each of them, still cannot fucking stand "Bullet the Blue Sky" (NEEEEEEWWWWWRRRRRR), still have no desire to hear Rattle & Hum. I'd picked up vinyl copies of pretty much everything pre-R&H at the dollar LP/book warehouse and listened to them again this week.

Not necessarily revelations, but:
1. I was obviously unaware of the group's post-punk influences when I was eight, but now I hear how much they took from the aesthetics, specifically The Edge's guitar style and some of the drumming on the early records, and how little Bono's songwriting fell in line with those groups. Wire, in particular, stands out as the polar opposite of U2's Neverending Search for Truth. The lyrics in "Single KO" always stood out to me in that regard: "I've found something / No one else is looking for / I've found something / That there's no use for / And what's more / I'm keeping it to myself." I can't imagine Bono's ever wanted to keep anything he learned from The People.
2. I was obviously unaware of who Brian Eno was when I was eight, but if anything gives songs like "Where the Streets Have No Name" a second life, it's the chance to parse Eno's involvement. I vaguely recall some tidbits from Eno's biography about the recording of The Joshua Tree -- first, I'm fairly certain he wanted to can "Where the Streets Have No Name" so much that he trashed a bunch of takes of it, but the band held onto the final copy, second, apparently The Edge used an infinite sustain guitar on the record, of which there are only three in the world.
3. I strongly suspect Eno/Lanois deserve a ton of credit for those records not sounding particularly dated.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:12 pm 

sutterfamily wrote:
I would say I have the smallest amount of U2 appreciation without thinking they suck. A decent handful of really great songs and then a bunch of crap I could care less about.

this is basically how I feel too, never got into them but have been enjoying the podcast a lot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:21 pm 

Custom Title: Hockey Facts.
i like their first few albums alright. i don't listen to them much anymore but there are some great songs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next