Cacophony

Re: Thee Official 2022 Offseason Thread: Where Yzerman Is a Viking

Post by Cacophony »

Need to have NA start doing Weekes videos since he's CL's Friedman
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

I don't like appearing on video but maybe wearing a ridiculous mask and doing breaking news hockey clips would be good
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

Radek Bonk and Marty St Louis both have sons playing in the Gretzky-Hlinka tourny
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

Also Cristobal Huet!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Huey Huet, whoa-oh, we gotta go (for a line change)
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Wheeler redid the 2019 draft today, went Hughes/ Zegras / Seider, and Wings fans obviously weren't thrilled that he wasn't higher. Here's what he said in his winners/losers column from 2019
Detroit Red Wings

If the Dach pick at No. 3 was the beginning of the train derailing, Moritz Seider to the Red Wings at No. 6 was the crescendo. There’s a ton to like about Seider’s game. His size is unique, he’s going to get stronger, he can skate for his size and his offensive game has taken real steps after playing on the best team in a midlevel pro league. It became clear after the combine that he was going to be a top-15 pick. Frankly, the early teens would have been a fine range (though I see him as a late-20s or early-30s guy on my board). No. 6 is a reach. Even if Seider becomes a top-four defenceman in the NHL (and I suspect he will be), he’s not going to be a No. 1, so you’re looking at a fringe No. 2 defenceman when there were high-end, borderline first-line-forward prospects available.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Kirill’s back in the US
practice

Post by practice »

Murray, Samsonov, Jarn, Aub-Kub, Jordie Benn, Mete is a Bad Offseason
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Reading an Athletic piece about the 15 hardest departures from the Blooze and
11. Doug Gilmour
Departure: After being drafted by the Blues in the 1982 draft and scoring 149 goals in 384 games, Gilmour was traded, with Steve Bozek, Michael Dark and Mark Hunter, to Calgary for Tim Corkery, Mike Bullard and Craig Coxe in 1988.

What Beever recalls: Nobody knew that Gilmour, who went from a seventh-round draft pick to leading the OHL in scoring, would become a star in the NHL. He was given increased responsibility, continued to improve each year, and in his fourth season with the Blues hit the 100-point mark (105). It was clear he was getting ready to take over the No. 1 center position from Bernie Federko, and then the bombshell hit. The Blues and Gilmour were sued for $1 million by the parents of a teenage girl who said he had a sexual relationship with her. A week after the lawsuit was filed, the team traded him. The Blues got Bullard, who was coming off his own 100-point season, but he lasted just 20 games before being sent to Philadelphia. Gilmour won the Stanley Cup in Calgary that season and netted more than 1,000 points after leaving St. Louis.
The link they used is behind a paywall - https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Wikipedia:
Gilmour became embroiled in a legal conflict. He was sued in August 1988 by the parents of a 14-year-old girl who alleged that Gilmour had sexually assaulted their daughter. His wife Robyne, the Blues organization and the team's president Jack Quinn were also named in the $1 million lawsuit as it was alleged that they "knew or should have known" about the alleged abuse.[26] The Blues were also accused of pretending to negotiate a payment while attempting to trade Gilmour without informing the other team of the allegations.[27]
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Devils Twitter is on a “Brodeur is the greatest of all time” bender

Uh Hasek though
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Grand Moff Larkin wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:09 pm
Kirill’s back in the US
:mact:
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Grand Moff Larkin wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:02 am
Devils Twitter is on a “Brodeur is the greatest of all time” bender

Uh Hasek though
Ah they’re just mad because somehow for days people have been talking about Brodeur was highly overrated and not a top 5 GoAT and honestly that’s pretty true!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

I'm trying to figure out where he'd land. From a purely anecdotal standpoint, I never feared the Wings going against Brodeur like I did with Roy. I'd put Hasek and Roy ahead of Brodeur for that era, and that's not a hard decision. Stevens and Niedermayer had more impact.

He has the same career SV% as Jimmy Howard, Jonathan Bernier, and Thomas Greiss. His total GSAA is half of Hasek's, just one above Vanbiesbrouck. I know Devils fans are testy when people question how their style of play impacted his resume, but it's a legitimate question whether someone like Cujo or Belfour could've had the same team success that Brodeur did if they'd been on the Devils.

I saw one Devils fan say "He won three Cups and was close to winning five" like close counts for shit. Vasi's won two Cups and was close to two more and he's only 28, if he wins one more how does he rank against Brodeur?

Anyway I think Brodeur's in the 5-10 range, with Hasek / Dryden / Roy / Plante being my top four.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Good post on how Michigan's hockey program is fucked, especially the trainer being a creep, the coach being a retributive turd, and Strauss Mann leaving rather than be blackballed

https://johnubacon.com/2022/08/the-inve ... y-program/
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Grand Moff Larkin wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:11 pm
I'm trying to figure out where he'd land. From a purely anecdotal standpoint, I never feared the Wings going against Brodeur like I did with Roy. I'd put Hasek and Roy ahead of Brodeur for that era, and that's not a hard decision. Stevens and Niedermayer had more impact.

He has the same career SV% as Jimmy Howard, Jonathan Bernier, and Thomas Greiss. His total GSAA is half of Hasek's, just one above Vanbiesbrouck. I know Devils fans are testy when people question how their style of play impacted his resume, but it's a legitimate question whether someone like Cujo or Belfour could've had the same team success that Brodeur did if they'd been on the Devils.

I saw one Devils fan say "He won three Cups and was close to winning five" like close counts for shit. Vasi's won two Cups and was close to two more and he's only 28, if he wins one more how does he rank against Brodeur?

Anyway I think Brodeur's in the 5-10 range, with Hasek / Dryden / Roy / Plante being my top four.
Yeah I haven't examined all the stats and everything but it seems like Brodeur is probably maybe around 7 or so for me but that is going to drop in the coming years. Maybe not even 7 because Vasi is already better imo and if he continues the way he's going Shesterkin will absolutely bury Brodeur. Good question on Cujo and Belfour. Arguably both better as well. Pretty much right with you on the top 4 NA, maybe Handsome Hank at 5? Hasek will always be my #1 and it's going to take a absolute freak of nature to ever take that over from him, but I'm also biased because he is my favorite player of all time.
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Kylington 2 X 2.5.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Huberdeau gets 10.5 x 8 from Calgary

:nyquist:
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

He's 29 now, with one year left, so he'll be 30 when this contract starts. He hasn't played a game for the Flames yet. I get the importance of signing him to an extension now instead of having to make a decision at the deadline, but this contract could age very poorly.