Site Admin

Re: Shootin' the Buttz

Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

I'm not making a football thread but man this Super Bowl sucks

Also it's the first NFL game I've watched this season
nick

Post by nick »

Wiped out last Sunday on some ice hidden underneath a fresh dusting of snow, landed straight on my back, wind knocked out of me and everything. My back/side ribs on the left side had been killing me all week, made worse by spasms that would happen from doing mundane activities such as talking and breathing. Had a phone call with my doctor on Thursday who ordered x-rays for me -- woke up to a voicemail this morning confirming that I've fractured my 6th and 7th ribs near the spine. Makes sense, because I was having the best day all week yesterday until I got into bed and got a tickle in my nose that caused me to sneeze and boy -- that fucking sucked. Worst pain since I first fell. So it's gonna be like 6 weeks of this. And here I was excited that after several months of not doing little exercise, our Peloton bike was finally delivered the week prior. Got two whole rides in.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Jesus, glad it wasn't worse (although that sounds pretty fuckin' bad)
nick

Post by nick »

I think I was probably a fraction of an inch from my head hitting the ground too, so at least I'm not dealing with a concussion.
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

That sucks Nick. I hurt my back the other day, it's nothing compared to what happened to you, but the struggle to get comfortable (and sleep!) is super frustrating.
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

That sounds horrific. Get well soon Nicky boy!
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

Feel better soon, nickyboy!
captain

Post by captain »

poor nickybud. rest up and feel better. at least this happened in the winter during a pandemic and not like, in the middle of summer
nick

Post by nick »

that's what I'm thankful for. have you had any ill effects from your collarbone (i think?) break last year?
captain

Post by captain »

it was a separated shoulder (AC joint) and it took basically 6 full months to start feeling actually normal again but aside from a weird bump on my shoulder, nothing lingering!

the first month was extremely rough but it got a lot better. i'm feeling for you right now, i know how challenging it is to do the most basic activities like get in/out of bed, get dressed, shower, all that stuff
captain

Post by captain »

i drank a pastry stout from reverence barrel works and holy moly that was good stuff. i recommend you sit back with one of those bad boys
bonertowne

Post by bonertowne »

Over the past month I’ve done some damage to my knee and my thumb, and almost strangled myself on my own jacket skiing when a limb caught the hood of my jacket while I was trying to duck under a downed tree.

I thought my knee was a goner three weeks ago. I swore I heard something pop but I could totally put weight on it and I can do most things just like before except it still hurts a little when I bend it.
practice

Post by practice »

I have had a similar experience (a little pop that felt like a bubble bursting) and feeling (certainty that it was toast) about my left knee. An accommodating GP agreed to push it in all directions when I visited the doctor about it, he was like this feels like a structurally sound knee to me and I couldn't argue at that point. But I went to an osteopath after and they did some like Domink Hasek personal stretching assistant moves on me and I could feel the whole side of my upper leg (quad?) heat up like there was a hot rod pressed against the outside of it. they told me it was due to you know inconsistent muscle mass or something, that wasn't the term but basically the fact that I bike a lot and do sports stuff a lot but never did any strength building or stretching. so I do some stretches sometimes now. I also stopped clipping my bike shoe into my left pedal when riding in cities or places where I am likely to be stopping often. still worry what it will be like when I'm like 50.
practice

Post by practice »

dbl
Last edited by practice on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Hell yeah, getting old rules
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

practice wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:55 am
I have had a similar experience (a little pop that felt like a bubble bursting) and feeling (certainty that it was toast) about my left knee. An accommodating GP agreed to push it in all directions when I visited the doctor about it, he was like this feels like a structurally sound knee to me and I couldn't argue at that point. But I went to an osteopath after and they did some like Domink Hasek personal stretching assistant moves on me and I could feel the whole side of my upper leg (quad?) heat up like there was a hot rod pressed against the outside of it. they told me it was due to you know inconsistent muscle mass or something, that wasn't the term but basically the fact that I bike a lot and do sports stuff a lot but never did any strength building or stretching. so I do some stretches sometimes now. I also stopped clipping my bike shoe into my left pedal when riding in cities or places where I am likely to be stopping often. still worry what it will be like when I'm like 50.
Yeah so this is basically me too, only right knee.

I've had two doctors and one physio do all the physically maneuvering of it in all directions and determine "there is no structural damage". I've had an x-ray and an ultrasound, but no MRI (yet?). My physio is convinced that the issue is that my knee cap doesn't track properly, there's a catch point that causes pain and irritation.

I did physio exercises for a year to try to address the "played sports but never did any strength building" bit. We were able to identify the EXACT point of weakness in the knee and modified exercises to target it. But guess what? No progress.

I'm 45 and I think my knee is done.
sutterfamily

Post by sutterfamily »

You can BUILD strength?
sutterfamily

Post by sutterfamily »

Hey since we're kvetching:

I don't sleep past 5/5:30 am most nights cause either my hip(s) or my lower back (or both) are too sore to be comfortable. But some nights are fine? I dunno. My mattress is supposed to be ideal for those kinds of pain?

(It is maybe possible that one calendar year of near absolute sedentarianism is partially to blame here... but also 41 and oldening real quick)
sutterfamily

Post by sutterfamily »

When I turn from one side to the other in bed like 8 of my joints crack in this sequential pop-pop-pop-pop-pop. My knee, when I bend down to do something for my daughter, lets out a mighty CRONCH each time. No pain tho?
2PEENZ

Post by 2PEENZ »

Thankfully my knees and back are still ok (knock on wood), but I did F my right shoulder up somehow a couple years ago. X-rays and ultrasounds don't show any damage, I hit the full range of motion when they test that, and it's really difficult to describe where the pain is. But benchpressing and throwing any kind of ball are super painful, and I can't sleep on my right side without pain. I LOVE sleeping on my right side :(