Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Re: Achin', the Buttz

Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Updated thread title
nick

Post by nick »

Aside from the broken ribs (healing fine; I can spin on the bike and stuff without pain), I've got some nerve issue in my left side that's been acting up the past few months after a year or so of being fine: when I do normal things like bend over to put on socks, I have this unpleasant nerve pain down my leg into the left side of my foot, and half my big toe is permanently without any feeling in it. A couple years ago, it took a physio a bunch of time to figure out what was up (not my leg, but something in my lower back that some targeted acupuncture and stretching) and we got it to a place where it wasn't bothering me anymore. So now I have to wait until I can get back in to see her post-lockdown, and also since that time, I've moved, so I'll have to trek across the city instead of having it be an easy stop on my bike ride to work.

Buncha oldies, we are.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

How much feeling do you need in your big toe, really
practice

Re: Shootin' the Buttz

Post by practice »

sutterfamily wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:55 pm
When I turn from one side to the other in bed like 8 of my joints crack in this sequential pop-pop-pop-pop-pop. My knee, when I bend down to do something for my daughter, lets out a mighty CRONCH each time. No pain tho?
my knee noise is more like ssskkkchccriipkkp}}}
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

I successfully troubleshooted my garage door (diagnosed the problem, found the faulty wiring, pressed it back together, taped it tight).

I feel like I should make Home Improvement noises or something.
2PEENZ

Post by 2PEENZ »

Nice work! When I think about the things my dad could diagnose and fix compared to what I could fix...it's very emasculating.

Although he also had that series of books that I think every 70s/80s dad had, that showed how to fix literally everything you might find in a home, and I could theoretically use youtube for the same.
2PEENZ

Post by 2PEENZ »

Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

I didn’t, like, solder it or anything. I was mostly pleased that I didn’t have to call A Guy.

I’m an idiot with most home improvement and car stuff. My dad did the oil changes when I was growing up, probably other stuff too.

I’ve dealt with some plumbing stuff, but I have my limits on that.
captain

Post by captain »

Grand Moff Larkin wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:15 pm
I successfully troubleshooted my garage door (diagnosed the problem, found the faulty wiring, pressed it back together, taped it tight).

I feel like I should make Home Improvement noises or something.
i bought a car with a v6 engine and every time i step on it to pass someone i tim allen grunt

somehow mrs captain is more amused than annoyed - looks like i found the right one
nick

Post by nick »

Oh man. My dad completely renovated our house room by room over many years as I was growing up and, as a woodworker/carpenter/cabinet maker, has a very high standard of work, especially for his own stuff. I didn't obviously take to it, but I've come to realise that I've internalized a lot of his understanding of knowing when something isn't perfect/desire to make it perfect, but without the skill. As a relatively new owner of a 90 year old house that's been DIYed pretty much only, it's been a challenge. I spent half an hour on the phone with him a few nights ago trying to diagnose a problem (random high-pitched whine in our bedroom) -- I knew enough that, before calling him, I should check the electrical (threw all the breakers in the house, sound still there ergo not an electrical issue!) but the fact that I didn't fully know my plumbing and my gas and my boiler, etc was a tad sobering. In the end, the sound is still there. Dad was flummoxed. So... I have no idea what to do next. What "Guy" do you call for that???
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

Possible poltergeist situation.
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

Also, an extensively DIYed 90 year old house could possibly contain a secret room previously (or even currently) used for nefarious purposes.

Food for thought.
nick

Post by nick »

I do idly think about pulling open something that’s been covered for years and finding stacks of cash or gold or other valuables more often than I probably should.
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

My great-grandfather allegedly hid a bunch of silver in his basement and no one could find it after he died.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Very briefly enjoyed Illinois’ return to college basketball prominence, an age that is over now
2PEENZ

Post by 2PEENZ »

I had them winning :(
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Me too!

I was honestly wary of the matchup with Loyola but it’s not like I can pick against them
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

After Illinois lost: College basketball is dead to me
Watching Kansas lose by 27: I can love again
2PEENZ

Post by 2PEENZ »

I don't think we ever started a new football thread, but holy moly 49ers :bbb:
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin