Compete Level

Advanced statistics are old news, friendship is the best way to judge players
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: The Official 2018 NHL Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:42 am 
Site Admin

Custom Title: Doggles TM Doggles
Two more years of Holland as GM, great

Ken Holland, you have always been the caretaker of this rebuild

Post subject: Re: The Official 2018 NHL Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Igor Eronko
@IgorEronko
Per source Ilya Kovalchuk is set to sign at 2-3 year deal with #NYR

For old times' sake the first attempt at this contract should be 20-30 years

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:57 am 
Site Admin

I don't particularly understand what the Rangers are up if this is true. Maybe Kovalchuk only wanted to play in NY?

I really hope Holland stays away from this sort of signing in the offseason.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:58 am 

Custom Title: shermer high school
SNES offseason possibilities:

- Trade Karlsson (sutterfam quits cheering for SNES)

- 50/50 on keeping Boucher, apparently: This guy isn't great but who the fuck else is gonna wanna coach there? Their special teams were beyond bad, especially given the talent available

- Pick between 1st and 5th. It will be very annoying if they get Dahlin and then trade Karlsson. Would probably feel like they "could" do it in that case. No matter what, they will likely be getting a really good F at any of those other slots, which makes it extra annoying that they are likely getting rid of Karlsson.

- Craig Anderson and Condon were terrible. Anderson is old, this doesn't bode well. That kid they got for Brassard from PIT has been great in the AHL in 5 games but definitely should get at least one year in the minors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Time for Red Wings grades!

Goalies:
Jimmy Howard C+: Despite a good start (during which he got no goal support), Howard ended up with a .910 SVP, which is a significant drop-off from the .927 he had last year. But the Wings' defense only got worse, so it's hard to put all of that on him. He started 57 games, which is probably more than ideal.

Petr Mrazek C+: He ended up with basically the same GAA and SVP that Howard had, despite having 3 shutouts to Howard's 1, which basically confirms the Great Mrazek / Shit Mrazek divide. I saw a comment on a Twitter post about the pick going up to a 3rd for him winning enough games with the Flyers and there was an awesome comment from a Flyers fan that was basically "I've never hated a Flyers goalie as much as I hate Mrazek." I kind of miss him -- again, those games where he's focused and making ridiculous saves are great -- but it was impossible to tell when you were going to get one of those games.

Jared Coreau D-: God that unintentional emoticon tells it all. His 4.26 GAA / .0867 SVP / 0-5-1 record probably moved the Wings up a few draft spots, for which I am eternally grateful, but as a goaltender he's essentially just the bad Mrazek games. Every game it seems like he gives up at least two inexplicably soft goals, most comically rendered in the two pucks that dropped behind him recently off catchable shots, one of which he pushed into the net himself when he attempted to fall backwards on top of it. There's talk of him coming back next year, and I suppose that keeping him as opposed to getting a competent back-up goaltender comes down to 1. how heavily they want to embrace the tank 2. whether they think Howard can survive starting 70 games (Narrator voice: "He couldn't").

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Defensemen:

Trevor Daley B-: He was probably the Wings' most consistent, reliable defender and ended up with 16 points, with only 1 point in his first 24 games. So that's not great, but purely viewed in an eye-test fashion, he was so much less painful to watch than the other guys. He didn't make horrible, game-killing reads, so good job, pal.

Jonathan Ericsson C+: The difference between Daley and Ericsson comes down to those horrible, game-killing reads / plays. He started 61% of his shifts in the defensive zone, which is definitely in the heavy-lifting category. I was genuinely impressed by him for the first few months in a "Man, they'd be even more fucked if they couldn't lean on him!" way, but the last few months showed more of the "Oh the puck deflected in off Ericsson" / "Oh he just got fuckin' roasted" of previous seasons.

Nicklas Kronwall B-: He definitely surpassed my expectations -- played almost all the games, got 27 points, didn't have to use a motorized scooter on the ice -- but he just doesn't have the mobility needed to run a power play anymore. I assume he wants to play out his contract next year, but ideally he'll go on LTIR with a "This guy doesn't have any knee cartilage left, how was he still playing hockey?" waiver and hang out with Franzen. Solid career, I loved watching him in his prime, but I don't see another improvement in the cards.

Mike Green C: He started out great offensively but tapered off heavily later in the year, and became more and more of a defensive liability. It was a bummer that he was hurt around the deadline and they couldn't trade him, but not as much of a bummer as Holland re-signing him would be. It's tough -- the Wings' PP is bad and the two biggest issues are a lack of snipers and weak offensive defensemen, and I'm advocating waving goodbye to both Kronwall and Green, but I'd rather see Hicketts/Hronek make young-guy mistakes than veterans make old-guy mistakes.

Nick Jensen C+: Kind of a weird case, in that both his possession stats and defensive zone starts increased, but I don't think he looked nearly as good as he did last year. To use the cliche, he is what he is, and that's a good-skating third-pair defenseman who doesn't have a great shot and gets worked over in his own zone too much. There's been talk of the Wings possibly moving him this offseason so they could bring up a younger guy, and that would make sense, I suppose, but Jensen isn't the issue and he's generally not excruciating to watch.

Danny Dekeyser C+: Better than last year, mostly because he was deployed more judiciously (thanks to Daley) and played almost two minutes less than last year. He's still a fourth defenseman at best who is overpaid and overworked and prone to bad reads / dumb penalties because of bad reads. But again, he was dreadful last year and considerable better this year.

Xavier Ouellet D+: His possession stats aren't horrible, but there was a reason why he was mostly out of this lineup this year in favor of Jensen: he made some horrible, horrible defensive reads. I was thinking that he's the new Kindl to some extent -- they sign him to a two-year deal on the promise of a few decent years, and the promise goes away. I suspect they'll trade him in the offseason.

Luke Witkowski F: He plays forward and defenseman but I'll get him out of the way now. He's such a waste of a roster slot, and I'm amazed that he even managed one goal on the season. He takes such moronic penalties, often almost immediately once he gets on the ice. So much of watching the Wings this year was trying to balance the sliver of good things with the enormous pie piece of shit, and Witkowski occupies a good amount of the shit piece.

Joe Hicketts B: He played five games, which seems too small in hindsight, but he was fun to watch. He makes a ton of mistakes, but is also creative offensively and could be a part of the power play next year. Maybe he's only on the team for a year or two while Hronek / Cholocop / 2018 first-round pick get ready, but I'd rather watch him than literally everyone else on this list.

Brian Lashoff D-: He played three minutes in one game and that's still too much time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:35 pm 

sutterfamily wrote:
SNES offseason possibilities:

- Trade Karlsson (sutterfam quits cheering for SNES)

- 50/50 on keeping Boucher, apparently: This guy isn't great but who the fuck else is gonna wanna coach there? Their special teams were beyond bad, especially given the talent available

- Pick between 1st and 5th. It will be very annoying if they get Dahlin and then trade Karlsson. Would probably feel like they "could" do it in that case. No matter what, they will likely be getting a really good F at any of those other slots, which makes it extra annoying that they are likely getting rid of Karlsson.

- Craig Anderson and Condon were terrible. Anderson is old, this doesn't bode well. That kid they got for Brassard from PIT has been great in the AHL in 5 games but definitely should get at least one year in the minors.

I feel like the best possible outcome (which therefore, will never happen) is pick 2nd or 3rd and get one of Svechnikov/Zadina, and re-sign Karlsson for max term/insane $$.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:55 pm 

Custom Title: The clutchiest
I found an Armchair-GM team on capfriendly.com called ""EK traded to all NHL Teams"

The explanation is: "This is what a trade of Erik Karlsson to each NHL Team would look like. Except for Montreal and Toronto."

It's currently got a 1.3/5 rating.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

What part of him did the Wings get?

I assume the article supposes Melnyk chopped him up

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 pm 

With a couple of the choicest, tenderest organs staying behind in Euge's freezer just in case.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 pm 

Custom Title: shermer high school
Alexei Ca$hin wrote:

I feel like the best possible outcome (which therefore, will never happen) is pick 2nd or 3rd and get one of Svechnikov/Zadina, and re-sign Karlsson for max term/insane $$.

That is a correct opinion on all fronts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Forwards:

Dylan Larkin A-: Definitely the Wings' best forward for most of the year. I give him a lot of credit for 1. mixing up his offensive approach 2. getting better defensively and at faceoffs. I would give him an A but more than half of his 16 goals were scored in the last month, so he was definitely snake-bitten for the majority of the season. I'm still not sure if he's a #1 center on a playoff team or a #2 center in the long run, but he's a lot of fun to watch, so that helps.

Henrik Zetterberg B: Not as productive as last year, but still respectable. Like a lot of Wings forwards, his productivity came and went, and I felt like he was the driving force for the offensive far less than last year. Part of me wonders how much more he'd enjoy being the 3rd line center for a playoff team as opposed to the #1 center (in deployment, if not productivity) for this team, but he guts it out and I give him a lot of credit for that.

Anthony Mantha B: Apparently Mantha said straight-out that his benchmarks for the year were getting 30 goals and 30 assists, which he fell short by 6 on each count, but he did feel like he was more consistent effort-wise. I'd agree with him on the first part -- 48 points is a disappointing total, even if it's third on the team -- but push back a little on the second. Goal scorers go through slumps, sure, but there were stretches where he was very noticeable and stretches where he was mostly invisible. He's trending in the right direction, at least, and those impressive streaks are great.

Gustav Nyquist B-: It felt like he had a better year than he actually did. 40 points is low, even if him hitting 21 goals is good after a few years under 20. He's a scoring winger and he has to score / produce offense to succeed on that account, but I did think he was committed both offensively and defensively more than he was in the last two seasons. He creates a lot low in the zone with slippery moves, I'm always impressed by those. Given that he has one more year on his deal, I wouldn't be shocked if he's moved during the offseason or at the trade deadline, but I like watching him play so I'm not antsy to see him leave.

Tomas Tatar C-: It's still amazing that the Wings got three picks (1 2 3) for him, considering that he wasn't having a good year (and did even worse on Vegas). His shooting percentage was the same as last year and he was basically on the same pace, but it felt different. Last year both he and Nyquist went through slumps where they were still creating chances, but this year Tatar moved around the lineup more because Blashill recognized (accurately) that his focus wasn't there. He has bursts of exciting play and I miss GETTIN' IT TATARTED but he's probably not going to hit 60 points in a season at any point.

Frans Nielsen B-: He went from 41 points down to 33, but his role changed considerably. Last year they kept trying to fit him with scoring wingers and it never quite settled, whereas this year he was firmly the third-line defensive / match-up center and usually played with some combination Helm / Abdelkader / Athanasiou / Tatar. He was noticeably worse at faceoffs with the changes the NHL made, but two stats jump out to me: he went from -19 to +1, and went from 58% offensive zone starts to 44%. There's grumbling about his contract and whether they could possibly move it (Narrator: "They couldn't"), but I look at it this way: if the Wings are going to genuinely commit to a youth movement, you need some vets around to eat the hard minutes and insulate the young players a bit, and Nielsen did a great job at that particular task this year. If Zetterberg only plays one more year, Nielsen will be even more essential down the road.

Justin Abdelkader C+: A slight bounce-back year offensively (35 points, up from 21) and he fit well on the Nielsen line, but he's still overpaid for his role (that Bertuzzi is very close to doing better). It does help to have a guy with a physical presence who is not Luke Witkowski, at least.

Darren Helm B-: Similar to Nielsen, Helm was deployed primarily in a shutdown role, but saw his scoring go up (31 points, his best since 2014-2015). 58% defensive zone starts is tough sledding. Solid on the PK. Like Abdelkader and Nielsen, he's overpaid for his role, but I don't think Holland will (be able to) trade any of them.

Andreas Athanasiou C+: He missed the beginning of the year because of the stupid contract impasse (I blame Holland's lack of foresight for that one) and went hot/cold throughout much of the year. He had a brief stretch where the team played him 20 minutes a night and he was one of the best players on the ice, and I suppose I'm penalizing him for demonstrating that dominance is within the realm of possibility but only getting 31 points in 71 games. The team's talking points on him are cliches -- more consistency, more defensive focus, etc. -- but honestly, they're all accurate. I would love for him to get a permanent spot on the top two lines / PP next year, but the team's right in that he has to earn it. Hopefully he accepts a bridge deal and commits to earning a big contract.

Martin Frk C: 11 goals, 14 assists in 68 games, but he got a good amount of power play time and didn't score as much on it as I would have hoped. I could see him falling through the cracks next year if Rasmussen makes the team.

Tyler Bertuzzi B+: 24 points in 48 games is pretty solid, a better points-per-game than Abdelkader for less money. I'm surprised his defensive zone starts were 56%. He's not going down to Grand Rapids for the AHL playoffs, which is a smart move because he needs to get stronger / faster in the offseason. But when he was drafted, this type of year seemed like the best case scenario, and now I think he can surpass what Abdelkader's done offensively without much trouble.

Luke Glendening B-: He had a pretty solid year. I'm surprised his ice time is only down a minute and a half per game from the Babcock years, because it felt like he was always on the ice during that time. He had 66% defensive zone starts, won 58% of his draws, and was great on the PK. I know giving him four years was too much, but he's a solid fourth-line center, and Blashill finally accepted that as his role. I am pretty amazed that in 2015-2016 he took 1125 draws, which is pretty bonkers.

David Booth C: He was fine for a 4th line vet. Did well against the Devils, largely invisible against the other teams, didn't get much ice time. Vastly prefer him to Witkowski.

Evgeni Svechnikov C: He looked much better near the end of the year. I'm still not sold that he's going to pan out as a regular NHLer, but he should be on the team next year and get a legitimate shot.

Riley Sheahan F: I barely remember him being on the team this year (8 games, no points) but he got 32 points for the PNES, because of course he did. He needed to go and he went to the place that would actually fix him. He seems like a good human being but fuck his confidence was shot on the Wings.

Scott Wilson D-: I barely remember him being on the team this year (17 games, no points) but he got 14 points on the Sabres, because of course he did. If the Wings were a competitive team in need of a 3rd/4th line tweener, sure, keep him around, but Lil Bert was way better once he got called up.

Dominic Turgeon C-: Seems competent defensively, but I don't remember him doing much offensively. Some writers were in a hurry to replace Glendening with him, but I think that's hasty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:54 pm 

Custom Title: Moderate-to-Severe
Who is the hot #1 pick for 2019?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:55 pm 

Future Avalanche center Jack Hughes apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

He’s destined to play with his brother, 2018 draft pick Quinn Hughes, on the Wings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Craig Custance
@CraigCustance
Niklas Kronwall says he has every intention of playing next season. Embraces idea of working with young d coming.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:56 pm 

Kevin Spacey is jealous.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Nicholson clarifies that Chiarelli keeps President of Hockey Operations position, too. "He has a plan to get us in the playoffs next season." Plan will be unveiled soon.

:nyquist:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:45 pm 

@tsnscottcullen
Nicholson says that Chiarelli has a great relationship with other GMs and that allows him to make trades. I bet it does.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:03 pm 

Custom Title: Dressing room cancer
NO PLAN 2020 :mact: :mact: :mact: :mact:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:05 pm 

Custom Title: Dressing room cancer
:goilers:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:26 pm 

Imagine believing all of that

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:46 pm 

Custom Title: Hockey Facts.
i would bet my life that chiarelli's "plan" significantly sacrifices the future and cripples them from making moves after he's canned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 pm 

Scootin' Dan Cleary wrote:
Nicholson clarifies that Chiarelli keeps President of Hockey Operations position, too. "He has a plan to get us in the playoffs next season." Plan will be unveiled soon.

exclusive footage of chiarelli discussing his plan with bobby nicks

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2v6749

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 pm 

nick wrote:
@tsnscottcullen
Nicholson says that Chiarelli has a great relationship with other GMs and that allows him to make trades. I bet it does.

this is why boston accepted a lesser package from calgary for dougie hamilton, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next