Compete Level

Advanced statistics are old news, friendship is the best way to judge players
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 631 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Official 2019 Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Custom Title: Doggles TM Doggles
Draft lottery Tuesday, very exciting

Post subject: Re: Official 2019 Offseason Thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Florida Panthers front office was saying Boo, not Booo-ughner (he was fired)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:21 am 

Feels good to be back. I see my butt grooves on the couch are still here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:34 pm 

Custom Title: edited 2 times in total
hopefully Canucks can find a taker for Virtanen (e.g. Oilers)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:42 pm 

Custom Title: Good Hockey Man
good to be home

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Time for my yearly Wings grades! Going through the roster from most points to fewest.

Dylan Larkin: A
He nearly averaged a point per game and led the team in both goals and assists. I keep thinking he's hit his ceiling and then he pushes himself to be better, do something new. His drive is incredible. It would be great, obviously, if he didn't take so many unnecessary penalties (he led the team in PIM by 35 with 75!), but hopefully he'll cool it with the reaction minors with time.

Andreas Athanasiou: A-
Can't quite give him an A because of consistency issues, but he scored 30 goals, many of which were spectacular, single-handed efforts. He creates offense out of nothing. This team often sucks to watch but every time he gets a breakaway I have to stand up. I think the draft lottery will dictate whether he plays center next year / moving forward. He can do it, but he'd be a more effective weapon on the wing, since he still isn't great defensively.

Gustav Nyquist (RIP): A-
Nyquist was one of my favorite Wings to watch play, and this year was considerably less frustrating for him than the last few. He had great chemistry with Larkin, something I wasn't sure the Wings would be able to replace (spoiler alert: they were). He's the opposite of AA: instead of flashy, end-to-end rushes, he creates offense by making space along the boards or finding open areas in transition. He doesn't single-handedly create goals, but he does a lot of the work for his teammates. He's strong defensively. I don't think they need to bring him back, but he'll still be missed.

Anthony Mantha: B+
I want to believe that the Mantha of the last few weeks, the Mantha after the all-star break, is what they're getting moving forward, but even during that stretch, he had some enigmatic, seemingly low-effort nights. But statistically, he had 20 points in 36 games before the break and 28 points in 31 games after the break. That's a good sign. He absolutely needs to stop fighting and getting hurt in fights. I want to believe Lil Tuzz / Larkin / Mantha will be dominant next year, the whole year, but who knows. (One note: his shooting percentage is remarkably consistent. The last three years have been 12.8 / 12.6 / 12.6.)

Tyler Bertuzzi: A-
Lil Tuzz had 13 of his 47 points in a five-game span, which is a shocking turn of events, but in the big picture... he was still on a 50-point pace. That's absolutely more than I would have anticipated from him at the NHL level. And yet I think he can still be more productive, in part because he works so well as a complementary piece to Larkin or AA, in part because he keeps adding new dimensions to his game. I've said this before, but after years of the Wings trying to make Justin Abdelkader into Tomas Holmstrom, even after the pucks stopped bouncing in off of him, they have a hard worker who actually deserves to be on a top line.

Thomas Vanek: B-
He went through some frustrating stretches during the season, but was generally better after the all-star break (-12 before, even after, slightly better point-per-game average). I thought he'd have better chemistry with AA than he did. Do they need him moving forward? Not really, but a few of the younger guys like Larkin have cited him as a valuable presence in the room / in practice, and I don't know if they're completely ready to cut bait on such guys.

Frans Nielsen: C+
He's a good third-line center, someone who can chip in 35 points a year and take more of the defensive load from the younger top-six centers. But he was used as the second-line center for a lot of the year, which is too much offensive load for him. The problem is that he's being paid like a second-line center. He was snake-bitten in terms of goal-scoring for long stretches, which again, is less of an issue if he's slotted as the third-line center and kept off the PP, but the Wings need to have the horses to allow for that to happen.

Luke Glendening: B+
He chipped in 23 points, he had 198 hits to lead the team, he won a lot of faceoffs, he was a plus player despite an increase in ice time on a bad team. I know fans are always looking to trade him, to replace him with someone younger and cheaper, but 1. he doesn't cost that much 2. I don't know if those players would replace his output (as proven by the scoring totals for some of the candidates). Just keep him in a 3rd / 4th line role, have him as an Emergency Defensive Conscience if you somehow have a line with AA and Zadina out there. He plays a specific role and he's good at it. That's enough.

Justin Abdelkader: D-
He scored six goals in 72 games. Maybe it's just a down year and he'll rebound to the 35 point range next year, but he's getting paid a lot of money to get six goals and nineteen points. More frustrating is that he didn't contribute in the ways he's supposed to contribute. If Abdelkader's on the ice, Larkin and Mantha should not be getting in fights. His hit totals aren't bad, but they're mostly routine forechecking hits. Every now and then he'd fill in on the top line or the PP and it was a waste.

Michael Rasmussen: C
Ideally he would have played in the AHL this season, and maybe that's where he'll start next year. He's big but not quite physically ready. He has the Big Guy Syndrome of not looking like he's hustling most of the time. He's smart / creative with net-front play and is good at protecting the puck in the corners, but he needs to do more in transition. I don't want to grade him too harshly because he's a rookie and learning on the job, but I hoped he'd be a little more productive.

Darren Helm: C-
He had basically the same stat line as Rasmussen, but he's a veteran and getting paid more. Maybe it's a down year, maybe he'll be back to 25-30 points next year, but there's a problem to hoping that bottom six guys who often play together and are all trending downwards will suddenly all trend upwards. He still has wheels, at least.

Christopher Ehn: C
I was surprised he made the team out of camp, and he had nine points in 60 games. He's good defensively and for scoring three goals on the year, a couple of them were highlight-quality. Maybe he develops into a good fourth-line / PKer in the future, but Helm was better out of the gate.

Jacob de la Rose: D+
He had the same stat line (60 GP 3G 6A) as Ehn but he isn't a rookie and was worse at faceoffs. Every time I type his name I start with "Zach de la" and I don't really want another season of that. Hopefully someone better beats him out of camp next year and he's waived.

Taro Hirose: A-
He had seven points in ten games. Meaningless games, sure, but in terms of being exactly as advertised (great hockey sense, creative passer, middling skating, not super fast), it was uncanny. He's the new Jiri Hudler and they got him for free from college free agency. Hopefully he adds a little muscle over the summer and comes back stronger. He's a solid option for a middle-six scoring winger.

Martin Frk: D-
He had one goal in thirty games and he's supposed to be a scorer. Granted, his deployment in those thirty games was minimal, but he's an AHL tweener and they don't need to keep rostering him. Is a shot that great if you can't aim? He made a couple of nice defensive plays that I can remember, so that saves him from the F.

Filip Zadina: B-
He didn't light the world on fire in his nine-game trial, but it took him time to adjust to the AHL, as well. I think it was valuable experience, and he had flashes of offensive brilliance and times when he was over his head. I think he makes the team out of camp next year, in part because the Wings desperately need another top-six scoring option, and I think he does reasonably well.

Matt Puempel: C-
He scored a goal, which is more than I can say for anyone else on this list. It's clear why he isn't in the NHL. He's not a good enough skater. He has good instincts in the offensive zone but that's about it.

Wade Megan: D+
He had one assist in eleven games as an injury replacement when they were down centers. He's an AHL-quality guy. I don't think he does anything at the NHL level.

Ryan Kuffner: D
He played ten games after he signed as a college free agent and didn't score a point, despite having some good chances. I would be surprised if he tops ten NHL games next year. He's kind of similar to Puempel in that he knows his way around the offensive zone, but getting there is the problem. Oh well, they can't all be Taro Hirose.

Dominic Turgeon: D
He played four games as an injury replacement and I swear that every time he was on the ice, I'd see his number and have to put serious thought into which player was wearing it. He's OK at PK / defensive zone coverage but thinking that he's going to slide into Glendening's role is foolish. I don't see him as an NHL player.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Niklas Kronwall: B
He had almost the same stat line as last year (79GP 27p) but averaged an extra minute and a half of ice time, wasn't as bad in terms of +/-, and was generally better in the eye test. He still gets roasted in transition a good amount and I assume that all of his penalties were "I can't keep up with that guy, I have to hook/hold/trip him" types, but if you'd told me at the beginning of the year that I wouldn't be completely opposed to him coming back for another year, I would be shocked. He's valuable in a mentorship role and he threw a surprising number of big hits. I thought for sure he'd be LTIR fodder a few years ago when you could hear his knees grinding from on-ice audio.

Mike Green: A-
He played 43 games and got 26 points. At one point, the Wings were 13-8-2 with him in the lineup and 3-14-5 with him out of the lineup. He's so much better in transition than almost all the other Wings defensemen. I think his defensive deficiencies are overblown. He's their best defenseman. Ideally he'd be their third-best defenseman but what are you going to do?

Filip Hronek: B+
I wouldn't have anticipated ME SO HRONEK being the leader in rookie defenseman scoring for the Wings this season (23 points in 46 games) after he was sent down earlier in the year, but he was significantly better after coming back from Grand Rapids. He looked lost defensively at times before being sent down, so he deserved to go down to GR, but he learned the right lessons and got his confidence back. He's so much better on the PP than any other Wings D aside from Green, and he might be better than Green in that department soon. He averaged almost 20 minutes on the year and had stretches when he was playing 24+ minutes, topping out at over 27 minutes one game. I wonder if that was Blashill testing him to see what he's capable of. I'm cautiously optimistic he's a top-pair guy in the future.

Danny Dekeyser: B+
Is it possible that Dekeyser had his best year this season? He played 52 games and had 20 points, which is tied for his best point-per-game average. He played almost 22 minutes a game and had a higher percentage of defensive zone starts than before. He is not, nor will he ever be, a viable top-pair defenseman. He's not good on the PP, but mercifully Blashill kept him off of the PP this season. I felt like he had fewer brain-farts this season and got roasted in transition far less than in past years. He's a good second-pair defenseman. That's enough. I think Blashill is deploying him the right way now.

Dennis Cholowski: B-
He had 12 points in his first 23 games and 4 points in his next 29 games. He absolutely hit a wall, both offensively and defensively. I know +/- is a questionable stat at best, but being -20 when the next worst D total is -10 is glaring. They definitely needed to send him down to GR. I'm optimistic about his future, because he seems like a smart kid who knows what to focus on to improve, but it would have obviously been great if he'd kept up his initial pace all year.

Nick Jensen (RIP): B+
He's just a solid defenseman. Skates well, makes smart plays, good in transition. He doesn't have the offensive ceiling of Green or Hronek and he can be outmuscled in the defensive zone, but overall, he's a solid 4th/5th defenseman. Caps were smart to get him.

Trevor Daley: D
He was out almost half the year and I'm curious what the Wings' record was with/without him. His reputation is a lot better than the reality. I very much want a team to trade for him to fulfill a quota of "veteran presence" or whatever. Worst CF% Rel among regular defensemen, doesn't do anything particularly well or fill a role.

Jonathan Ericsson: D
He missed 30 games, some of which were healthy scratches. He still mostly plays miserable defensive minutes and is decent down low in the defensive zone, but he was markedly worse this year than previous years (when I felt like I was an apologist for him to a certain extent). He's definitely lapped Kronwall in the "When can he retire?" race.

Madison Bowey: C+
He was better than I expected, to be honest. Four points in 17 games isn't great, but I viewed him as a bonus in the Jensen trade, and he ended up logging a lot of minutes late in the year. His issues in the defensive zone are noticeable -- coverage-wise he needs work -- but he's OK in transition. A decent bottom-pair option moving forward, but I don't know if they'll have room for him if everyone's healthy.

Luke Witkowski: C+
I was genuinely shocked that Witkowski only had 23 penalty minutes in 34 games, 15 of which were fighting majors. So four total minor penalties for a guy that I assumed took a roughing / charging penalty 15 seconds into every shift. In terms of an occasional fill-in, I'd (deep breath) rather have him than Martin Frk. If he's fighting, hopefully that means Mantha / Larkin aren't. He brings energy to the games because he goes out there looking to crush guys, so he's successful in contributing in his way, whereas Frk failed at scoring, which is where he's supposed to contribute. When he gets the puck at the point nothing good is going to happen (he has a weak shot and isn't particularly agile) but those times are pretty rare. Again, I'll credit Blashill for deploying him properly. This one is honestly the biggest surprise of anyone on the team. Who knew?

Brian Lashoff: C-
It's such a bummer when Lashoff gets called up because literally anyone else would be more exciting. It's like thinking about a bunch of options for dinner and making a can of Campbell's soup (which I did last week and it was disappointing as hell). I honestly don't know if he was better or worse in these four games than any of his prior NHL games. He seems like a good guy to have on Grand Rapids, at least, so rewarding him with an NHL paycheck a couple of times a year isn't terrible, but man, "What should we have for lunch? Subway?"

Jake Chelios: C
He played five games at the end of the year and didn't embarrass himself. I don't remember much of what he did, aside from take a single penalty, but he played 19 minutes against Boston. I think he's an AHL guy but maybe he's the future Lashoff in terms of emergency fill-ins.

Joe Hicketts: D
He played 11 games, some at the beginning of the year, some at the end. No points, -9. He somehow played over 23 minutes in three of those 11 games. I remember him making a couple of nice plays in the last few games but in general, it was noticeable how much better Hronek / Cholowski were than him and that doesn't bode well for his NHL future, at least with the Wings.

Libor Sulak: C-
Played six games at the beginning of the year (all losses), I vaguely recall him being OK in the defensive end at times. Threw a lot of hits. Doesn't seem like an NHL guy.

Dylan McIlrath: C-
Did someone say THROWING HITS? He's an AHL level defenseman in terms of skating and hockey sense, but he's physical and it was kind of funny how quickly guys would slink away from him in any potential post-whistle fracas. I don't want him on the team or anything, but he didn't embarrass himself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Jimmy Howard: C+
Before the all-star break: 2.76 GAA, .916 SV%. After the all-star break: 3.56 GAA, .899 SV%. I don't blame him for falling off, but I do think the Wings are going to figure out the "goaltender of the future" issue at some point.

Jonathan Bernier: C
Before the all-star break: 3.52 GAA, .892 SV%. After the all-star break: 2.62 GAA, .922 SV%. I don't understand how he pulled it together, but he was brutal in the first half of the year and surprisingly good for most of the second half. His overall stats weren't quite as good as Howard's but at least I don't have to worry about his contract as much.

Kaden Fulcher: C
He's an ECHL goaltender who got called up on an emergency basis. He allowed one goal in the last period of the year. Good job?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 pm 

Custom Title: Good Hockey Man
i saw something about yzerman considering the rangers POHO job and i have no idea if it's true but katz and co better be gathering all the loonies in ice district to make him an offer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

If the Wings had

Jensen / Green
Hronek (last half of the year) / Dekeyser
Cholowski (first 20 games) / Kronwall

all year, I wonder how they would have done.

Daley / Ericsson are definitely the weakest links.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

captain wrote:
i saw something about yzerman considering the rangers POHO job and i have no idea if it's true but katz and co better be gathering all the loonies in ice district to make him an offer

I saw this news on a Wings blog this morning and the comments seemed to be pretty dismissive of Larry Brooks as the source of this story.

I don't know. The initial reason for Yzerman stepping down in Tampa was to be closer to his family, so Detroit makes sense in that capacity. Maybe the Rangers are slightly better off in terms of their prospect pool, but I don't think that will matter too much.

The lottery is my bigger concern at this point. After that, I'll worry more about whether Yzerman returns.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Just saw that Housley was canned, too.

Kings aren't retaining Willie Desjardins.

Panthers want Quenneville, which is no shock because they're Florida South. I wonder how he gets along with Panarin. He was the one who coined "Bread Man," apparently.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Apparently the Panthers have a press conference lined up for noon tomorrow. Remember when it seemed like Quenneville was going to coach the Flyers in December?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

As I graded the Wings' roster I became happier with their decision to retain Blashill. I think he chose the right deployment for the majority of the roster and the right players are improving. I don't think there's much he can do about Abdelkader, Ericsson, or Daley aside from give them less ice time / responsibility, which is what he did. Nor do I think that roster is good enough to make the playoffs, even in the best scenario. Like this is where those guys should be playing, if they should be playing

Lil Tuzz / Larkin / Mantha
AA / /
Hirose / Nielsen / Helm
Abdelkader / Glendening / Rasmussen
Ehn

Green /
Hronek / Dekeyser
Kronwall / Cholowski
Bowey

They need two-thirds of a second line (pencil Zadina in there, I guess) and a #1 defenseman. Those aren't small holes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:23 am 

I appreciated the sums, neuart. I probably can't do as good of a job, but here's mine, for forwards first:

Boeser (A-): Started the season looking slow and sophomore slumpy, which led to people crying that he was still injured. I just thought he was playing a little scared from the very serious injury he suffered at the end of last season. but by the end of this season, he looked better than last. still not very fast, but there's power to his stride, and while his shot wasn't at the level of last season, his passing and general offensive creativity are underrated. he's always an awesome seeming dude. really fun player to watch.

Pettersson (A): Really slowed down near the end of the season, but not for lack of trying. he's smart and will adjust but teams aren't gonna allow him anywhere near the space he had for his scoring streak. needs to start shooting more obviously and less importantly, stop diving around the ice trying to do too much (the Sedins used to dive a lot too early in their career...). still, this is a player that will forever be hard to complain about. very special talent.

Horvat (A): I've never understood Horvat's offensive game much, and defensively he's always seemed a little overrated to me. sometimes this season he got so overloaded with responsibilities (I think he took the most faceoffs in the league? and won the second most?) that he paradoxically became invisible, i.e. I couldn't figure out what he was supposed to be doing out there. really emerged as the obvious choice for captain this season, and easy guy to root for. his will is impressive.

Pearson (B+): looked slow at first, and just blended into the regular morass that the Canucks have been lately. but obviously sizzled at the end, and chemistry with Horvat was exciting. adds an element of size and bluntness and decent offensive ability to the Canucks that has been impossible for them to find. still worry that he could fade back into the morass, but at least he flashed something.

Leivo (C+): kinda Pearson-lite. didn't like him much on PP1, as his puckhandling and decision-making and general agility were lacking. ponderous skater at times. wrist shot is very good when he can get it off. passing so-so. board work supposedly strong. big body on a team that is still incredibly weak. seems like an OK dude.

Beagle (C+): 3 goals on the year. really needs to find out how to contribute more offensively obviously. helped the Canucks PK improve from worst last season to average this season. and generally was probably the best fourth line centre they've had in awhile, though the competition isn't anything to write home about.

Sutter (F): miserable season. he was actually good the season before, but Beagle seemed to render him redundant.

Baertschi (C for concussed): very happy to see him pot one after his concussion issues, but worry about one more knock in the head doing him in. I've always liked Baertschi. he has decent all around offensive ability, but a little slow for top-6 and a little weak as well.

Gaudette (C+): started to rev it up around mid-season with some key snipes that hinted of his college career, but then absolutely faded into uselessness. he is clearly trying, and as a 5th round pick, it's cool that he's gotten this far, but he clearly needs to add a step, or figure out if he wants to be primarily a defensive puck hound, or bottom-6 goalscorer. I mean he could be both, but he did neither well enough this year.

Goldobin (D): incredible how many points he accumulated being generally incompetent. I've also always liked Goldobin, he has serious skill, maybe the most on the team after Boeser and Pettersson. played well at the start of the season, meaning he threw hits and hounded the puck, which is all he would ever have to do in order to stick in the NHL, as his offensive ability isn't really in question. but he just couldn't keep it up, and started to blow a lot of offensive chances as well. probably gone unfortunately.

Motte (C+): fast and the NHL changing has been great for him. adds much needed speed and consistent hustle to the Canucks bottom 6. player who most predicted not making the team but ended up never being healthy scratched. but... he just doesn't produce much, and I'm not sure how he will produce more in the future. a little bit of stone hands at this point.

Granlund (C): so bland. blandest player maybe in the league. not particularly good at anything (wonder where his shot went...), but not particularly bad at anything either, except maybe board battles. turned up the heat a little late in the year, but I don't think it was enough. still, coaches love these types of players, who can play any position anywhere in the lineup and not totally embarrass them.

Virtanen (C): potted an insane amount of fluky goals early in the season. has to be one of the fastest players in the league. showed flashes of competence at times making me think maybe there's something here. but often just so, so, so dumb. stupid giveaways and play-killing decisions. dunno if he knows how to do a pass. a hockey brain that thinks soaring into the offensive zone at full speed, and throwing a limp wrister on the goalie is enough to stick in the lineup. surprisingly soft, though occasionally throws a decent hit. people need to constantly yell at him to take the puck to the net, or go anywhere near the crease. has been coddled so much by the organization and seems a little entitled.

Spooner (C): has speed, which is a very good thing. also has decent offensive ability. couldn't buy a goal though. very, very soft and weak on the puck, which might work if you're surrounded by Bruins, not so much if you're surrounded by Canucks.

Roussel (A-): really, really good. shot couldn't beat a goalie if it didn't deflect or somehow pinball in, but otherwise, his passing, offensive vision, etc. were very good for the bottom-6. finished 5th on the team in points despite missing 15 games (also, yikes). and obviously his offensive game isn't his calling card. emerged as a leader on the team, like a Dorsett replacement that they badly missed last season. brought it almost every single game. has had some injury troubles though and doubt he'll finish his 4-year (!) deal.

Eriksson (C-): please go away. occasionally played well and does make the smart veteran play, sometimes, but often invisible, and for some reason, NEVER GETS INTERVIEWED. like he's so boring that the media avoids him despite him being the highest paid player on the team (yikes). really have no clue how this player ever scored 30 goals because he boots chances all over the ice like a fourth liner. Lucic for Eriksson.

Schaller (D): can't pass. can't handle a pass. can't skate. owns the Dallas Stars though, so there's that.

Gaunce (C): hilarious that he ended up with a point per game pace.

Boucher (D): he played a game.

MacEwen (C): he played 4. supposed to be some kind of prospect. not sure what he's good at but he's a big body, oh yeah!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:50 am 

defence review/holy shit we had 12 defencemen play this season (wait, Detroit had 15???)

Edler (A-): leader of the d-corps, and emerged this season as actually important Canuck, rather than forgettable Canuck. only real tie the team has to 2011 and the Sedin era, which is cool to keep around. people whined all year about his PP work but he had one of his best offensive seasons. asked to do too much at times and had his lapses, plus will never be a real #1 defenceman, but the Canucks defence without him is terrifying. will probably get an overly generous contract extension.

Hutton (C+): I don't like this player, but he had stretches of good play, mostly against weaker/slower competition I thought. as soon as a fast, aggressive team attacks him, he becomes an abomination, at least in my eyes. others thought he had a career resurgence so maybe I'm just biased. decent passer, and decent size.

Stecher (B): really proved himself this season... as a 5'9 defensive defenceman. we take what we can get I guess. emerged as a leader on the team. also, like Edler, often asked to do too much.

Tanev (B-): dude, wtf. his susceptibility to injuries is fucking legendary. pretty good defenceman when healthy, which is never. teams run him all the time, and he just takes it.

Biega (B): stunning how much this player contributed this season. another 5'9 defensive defenceman, which... doesn't seem like a good thing to have a bunch of those. somehow put up a decent amount of points despite having little to no offensive ability. again, changing NHL benefited his water bug style.

Pouliot (D): had his moments, but he's gone with Hughes here. never really saw much of his supposed offensive skill. a player you can see thinking out there on the ice while players and pucks whizz around him. hear, even.

Hughes (B+): fit in so easily. smart, with perhaps most talent/natural ability on the team. jaw-dropping skating maneuvers at times. amazing to see that in a 5-game sample. he will definitely have his bumps along the road though, but there's a lot of hope for this guy to be a #1 defenceman, which the Canucks have never really had. defensive game needs some work, obviously.

Schenn (B): I'm writing a year-end review of Luke Schenn. weird world. Vancouver and Toronto media lost their minds over this guy's career comeback, and I'm buying most of it. played better than Gudbranson, and just continuously made the solid/safe play and stood up for the lil Canucks, all of which was a revelation in this market. still, he's very, very slow.

Sautner (C): didn't embarrass himself. didn't notice him much. 17 games, woah.

Teves (I): didn't see the 1 game he played.

Brisebois (C): Benning loves him some Breezbwah. big, good skater, French Canadian, and not much else. but that's enough for this team.

Rafferty (C+): good to see him turn his life around after the Craigslist murders.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:55 am 

Markstrom (A+): put him on a good team and he's top-3 in Vezina voting. seriously. stopped everything except the impossible, and sometimes stopped those. scary to think how bad this team could have been without his performance. his season has gone under the radar around the league. puts Canucks in an interesting situation for his next contract though.

Demko (B): looked shaky early, looked solid later, with a few leaks still though. lots of will to be better in this player, just need more of a sample size.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:00 am 
Site Admin

I enjoyed those, Cuch. I watched very little of the Canucks this year, probably more EP highlights than anything else, so there are a lot of guys I knew very little about. I did know that Tanev was hurt a lot because any time I looked at their box scores, I'd see the defensemen dressed, squint for a second, and then realize that Tanev was out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:04 am 
Site Admin

The Wings dressed 15 D because at the beginning of the year and the end of the year almost all of their veteran D, barring Kronwall, got hurt. The funniest thing was when Sulak was recalled on an emergency basis at the end of the year, then he was also hurt and unable to play, and they had to bring up someone else (McIlrath, maybe?). I'm sure at the end of the year they were shutting guys down for needing naps or being hungry or whatever, but the lineups were pretty comical.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Quenneville is officially the Panthers’ coach

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:54 am 

That was quick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:53 pm 

piling on at this point, but Bob Nicholson seems really fucking dumb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Sabres probably going to hire McLellan

Eh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

I'm trying to figure out who the Wings would take if they're in the 5-7 range. Positionally, centers and defensemen (defenseman, really) are the priority, and I'm sure they'd prefer someone who's closer to stepping in. So I don't know if they'd take Podkolzin (he's a wing and he's going to be in the KHL for two years, supposedly), I assume they'd take Byram if he's available (spoiler: he won't be), and then there's a big group of centers like Cozens / Dach / Zegras / Turcotte and I assume they'll end up with one of those guys if they win the lottery, and it seems like Cozens might be the first of those guys off the board. So from Dach / Zegras / Turcotte, uh, who knows. It seems like Zegras needs some time at college, but I like what I've read about him. Pronman wasn't as high on Turcotte as some. It depends a lot on who slots in before the Wings in 3-whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:32 am 

Custom Title: space, punctuated by planets
Larkin is a total monster in fantasy leagues with faceoff wins + PIMs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 631 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next