Compete Level

Advanced statistics are old news, friendship is the best way to judge players
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: thread where i open packs of 1991 topps stadium club
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:41 am 

Custom Title: aggravated spearing, 46 min
A few weeks ago when I was at my parents' house my mom informed me and my brother that she was finally getting rid of the thousands of sports cards that we had amassed throughout the 80s and 90s. Almost all of this has now gone to the Salvation Army or cardboard recycling facility, but I did salvage a few things including several binder pages full of Dave Winfield cards from various eras, a complete team set of the 1978 New York Yankees, 1992 Pro Set 'Platinum Prospect' Nicklas Lidstrom, 1990 O-Pee-Chee Sergei Fedorov Central Red Army, a 1990 Shawn Kemp NBA Hoops rookie card, and a complete set of 1992 PGA Tour Pro Set which I have no recollection of ever purchasing.

About a week later, my interest having been sparked, I bought one of those re-pack 'hockey card surprise' bags at the dollar store. It contained an unopened package of 1991 Topps Stadium Club hockey cards, which seemed odd to me because I remembered them as being the 'rare' option (compared to Topps, Pro Set, Score, etc). I did a bit of internet research and it turns out no they were actually just as overproduced and worthless as anything else from that era and I could buy a whole case of 36 packs on eBay for like 18 bucks shipped. I have now received that case, and this thread will document my journey.

Post subject: Re: thread where i open packs of 1991 topps stadium club
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Custom Title: Doggles TM Doggles
Have you watched the Remembering Some Guys series of videos on Deadspin?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:01 pm 

i haven't, but i'm going to look at it now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

The ones where David Roth has to chew a bunch of Dubble Bubble for not being able to remember guys are the best

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

I have so many sports cards. Probably 3000 1988 Topps baseball cards.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 pm 

Impressions on the case:

Reasonably quick shipping, arrived packed in a cardboard box formerly containing Jonathan Toews Funko Pops and stuffed with a crumpled up flyer from Walmart or something like that. The box itself seems to be in decent condition for being almost 30 years old but is not cello-sealed which is an extremely minor annoyance because I'm pretty sure the listing said 'unopened'. Anyways, all 36 packs are there and they are all unopened so who cares really. Featured in the marquee spot on the top lid of the case is... Garry Galley? Fresh off a blistering 6G / 21A campaign with the Boston Bruins, who I did not yet hate at the time (probably because of fondness towards Cam Neely). Weird choice, Topps!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Do you regret not getting a case of Jonathan Toews Funko Pops?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:45 pm 

Pack 1 General Impressions:

The packaging is a bit strange, kinda crispy clear cellophane with printed graphics that look like they could be from sometime long before 1991. Difficult to manage without tearing, so the opening process is not as tactually satisfying as your typical wax pack. The contents are described as '12 Premium Hockey Cards'. I think I remember these being around $2.00-$2.50 (CDN) per pack when they came out - significantly higher than the run-of-the-mill stuff which I'm pretty sure was less than a dollar. Upper Deck had made a huge splash in the previous couple of years and Topps clearly wanted to get in on the 'high end' market.

The Kodak logo is featured prominently on each pack, as well as information letting you know where your cards were produced (Duryea, PA - a town of less than 5000 on the outskirts of Scranton, per Wikipedia). The main things I remember about Stadium Club are the high-gloss finish and a strong odor that accompanied it. The odor is much less potent now, but still detectable. The cards are sticking together more than seems comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:55 pm 

Pack 1 General Impressions (cont.):

The cards are separated into two groups of 6 facing opposite directions with an insert in the middle advertising 'Complete Hockey Coverage' from The Sporting News, 72% off the cover price for a 28-issue subscription, as long as you are a member of the Topps Club. On the other side of the insert is a referee (I want to say it's Don Koharski, but it probably isn't) separating #22 of the Philadelphia Flyers (research tells me this is probably Rick Tocchet, but you can't see his face or name on the jersey) from an anonymous Chicago Black Hawk (I'm going to guess this is Mike Peluso). There a some added comic-book style captions where Tocchet is saying "You don't even know where to find the best hockey coverage!", to which assumed Peluso responds "Oh yeah? It's on the back of this card!". Crucial taunts, Rick.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:58 pm 

Me So Hronek wrote:
Do you regret not getting a case of Jonathan Toews Funko Pops?

much higher resale value, no doubt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:02 pm 

Fun Fact #1:

The father of my best friend around this time was good pals with Mike Keenan, so I had a steady supply of Flyers and Blackhawks memorabilia (as well as some Team Canada stuff, which was always nice). My affinity for the Flyers remains fairly strong as a result of this early exposure, Chicago not so much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:10 pm 

Pack #1 Card #1:

#138 Jon Casey - G (Minnesota North Stars): First, the sticking together mentioned earlier is definitely a problem as some of the back of this card stayed attached to the next one creating an unsightly blotch. Anyways, the front photo is actually really good - crisp and clear / high contrast and the high gloss gives it a nice pop, Kodak really brought the house down on this one. It is obvious that these are better quality than the standard Topps dusky cardboard. The stock itself is thinner than I remembered though. When I first looked at the name I got confused for a minute thinking it was that guy who won the Vezina and then flamed out. Quickly realized my mistake but I don't have any specific recollections of this person really. The 'Sporting News Hockey Scouting Report' on the back of the card starts with calling the guy 'diminutive' but he's 5'10"? I can easily remember at least three shorter goalies of the era.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:22 pm 

Pack #1 Card #2:

#339 Eric Weinrich - D (New Jersey Devils): Adhesion even worse on this one. Since these cards are all worth nothing I probably won't get too worried about them not being in mint condition but it definitely would have pissed me off as a 10-year old. I'm assuming this is related to the glossy finish degrading over time. The photo is surprisingly terrible, it's in-game but not an action shot, taken either during warmups or a stoppage in play in what appears to be a low-stakes contest. He's kind of just staring like a doofus and the red on his jersey looks like a dull brown. He does have the good CCM helmet though. This looks like a 2nd year card (97 GP) and I'm pretty sure I remember this guy sticking around well into the 2000s as a respectable journeyman D, but not much else comes to mind.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:42 pm 

Pack #1 Card #3:

#83 Brad Shaw - D (Hartford Whalers): Good to see the Whalers jersey. Decent photo on the front, this guy kind of looks like Wade Redden and there is an advertisement on the boards behind him for some book called "The Donnelley Directory" that looks weirdly sinister. I forgot to mention I'm gonna try to do all the individual card reviews without the benefit of any supplemental research. This looks like another 2nd or 3rd year card (150 GP) and I don't really remember this guy at all but feel like he maybe went on to play in Detroit for a couple of years? Who knows. The Sporting News says he has 'excellent mobility'.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:49 pm 

Pack #1 Card #4:

#211 Andy Moog - G (Boston Bruins): I definitely always pronounced this guy's name as if it rhymed with the first part of Google, but I don't think I ever knew if that was right and I'm realizing now that I actually still don't. Is he related to Bob the synthesizer guy or the other guy who has the aerospace/electronics company? There is a picture of an older card on the back where he is with Edmonton and I'm realizing now that this portion of the template is typically showing the guy's Topps rookie card. The Sporting News describes Andy as being 'not as rambunctious as he was in his younger years', which begs some further explanation IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:59 pm 

Pack #1 Card #5:

#301 Carey Wilson - C (Calgary Flames): Photo on the front has him sticking out his tongue in kind of a Marchandesque manner. Again the jersey seems muted and brown, maybe something going on with degradation of the red ink. I remember this guy's name but not much else. Wondering if he is the first Carey in the NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:06 am 

Pack #1 Card #6:

#88 Pete Peeters - G (Philadelphia Flyers): 3rd goalie of out 6. This made me wonder why were goalies always sought after / seen as more valuable? They produced the same amount of cards proportionately as for any other position. Photo is pretty good, he's lazily catching a puck on the glove side standing almost perfectly straight up. They don't make them like Pete Peeters anymore. One of the all-time great hockey names. His equipment is apparently made by a company called Aeroflex which is the same name as, I swear I'm not making this up, a company that manufactures custom slip rings just like the previously mentioned Moog electronics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 am 
Site Admin

linseman wrote:
Pack #1 Card #4:

#211 Andy Moog - G (Boston Bruins): I definitely always pronounced this guy's name as if it rhymed with the first part of Google, but I don't think I ever knew if that was right and I'm realizing now that I actually still don't. Is he related to Bob the synthesizer guy or the other guy who has the aerospace/electronics company? There is a picture of an older card on the back where he is with Edmonton and I'm realizing now that this portion of the template is typically showing the guy's Topps rookie card. The Sporting News describes Andy as being 'not as rambunctious as he was in his younger years', which begs some further explanation IMO.

I looked at the pronunciation key on Wikipedia and it said the o-sound is like in "code," so I think rhyming it with Google is incorrect.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:07 am 
Site Admin

I didn't remember Carey Wilson at all, and I think that's because I started collecting hockey cards in 1992, and by 1991-1992 he was a part-time player. Suited up for 42 games that year, 23 the following year, and then was out of the league. Apparently he had a knee injury his last year.

It always gets me when some dude I've never heard of had a season or two around a point-per-game, but that was 80s hockey for you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:22 pm 

Custom Title: edited 2 times in total
linseman wrote:
Pack #1 Card #2:

#339 Eric Weinrich - D (New Jersey Devils): Adhesion even worse on this one. Since these cards are all worth nothing I probably won't get too worried about them not being in mint condition but it definitely would have pissed me off as a 10-year old. I'm assuming this is related to the glossy finish degrading over time. The photo is surprisingly terrible, it's in-game but not an action shot, taken either during warmups or a stoppage in play in what appears to be a low-stakes contest. He's kind of just staring like a doofus and the red on his jersey looks like a dull brown. He does have the good CCM helmet though. This looks like a 2nd year card (97 GP) and I'm pretty sure I remember this guy sticking around well into the 2000s as a respectable journeyman D, but not much else comes to mind.

:nonissiren: "respectable journeyman D" :nonissiren:

Nonis traded a 3rd for him at the deadline in 2006 for an ill-fated playoff push. he was -13 in 16 games with 0 points and never played in the NHL again. think we also acquired Keith Carney for a 2nd.

:nonis:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:06 pm 

Pack #1 Card #7:

#71 Corey Millen - C (New York Rangers): This is the best picture since Jon Casey. He is holding his stick (first CHIMO sighting) in an awkward-looking grip while getting slashed in the upper groin by an opposing player. Again, I remember this guy's name (enough to know that he isn't the same guy as Carey Wilson) but not much else. 1991 was a tough time to be a 5'7" rookie, I bet he got slammed around alot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

I remembered Corey Millen as a Flame

Part of two pretty big trades

1995-Feb-27 Traded from New Jersey Devils to Dallas Stars for Neal Broten
1995-Dec-19 Traded from Dallas Stars with Jarome Iginla to Calgary Flames for Joe Nieuwendyk

Broten was key for the Devils' Cup win

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:12 pm 

Pack #1 Card #8:

#175 Garry Galley - D (Boston Bruins): Well what do you know, it's the cover boy himself. Unremarkable front photo but I do like the CCM helmet / Itech half-visor combo. My earlier theory about the back part showing a thumbnail of the guy's Topps rookie card seems to be incorrect as he is wearing the 'C' in the photo on that card and it's from a set that I remember having some of / could not be from 1984 or whenever this guy started. The Scouting Report is fairly neutral, which makes his presence on the box top all the more intriguing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:18 pm 

Pack #1 Card #9:

#397 Jeff Lazaro - LW (Boston Bruins): Another good front photo, he's in front of a Canadiens goalie holding his stick pointing directly upward with one hand at the bottom for some reason. Also wearing the same CCM/Itech combo that he must have picked up from Garry. I've never heard of this guy so given that the set only has 400 cards I'm gonna guess they included him just to round things out. Welham, Mass is listed as both his 'Born' and his 'Home', so I hope his friends and family had a good time at the games at least.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

linseman wrote:
Pack #1 Card #9:

#397 Jeff Lazaro - LW (Boston Bruins): Another good front photo, he's in front of a Canadiens goalie holding his stick pointing directly upward with one hand at the bottom for some reason. Also wearing the same CCM/Itech combo that he must have picked up from Garry. I've never heard of this guy so given that the set only has 400 cards I'm gonna guess they included him just to round things out. Welham, Mass is listed as both his 'Born' and his 'Home', so I hope his friends and family had a good time at the games at least.

If it's Welham, that's a typo, should be Waltham (which is maybe 20 minutes from me).

I remember Jeff Lazaro's name and I think the only reason would be that I had a few of his cards.