Shootin' the Buttz

Where ideas hang out, and do whatever!
nick

Re: Shootin' the Buttz

Post by nick »

https://www.instagram.com/cadieuxjoel/

This dude is telling Peter Pocklington's story via LEGO one a day that started March 16th. We're at the point where he's become sole owner of the Oilers' WHA team, and Glen Sather has been promoted to full-time head coach.
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

A couple good time-killer reads on The Athletic today.

My son has been showing me Zac Bell trick shot stuff for a while. These guys are all having their 15 minutes while the kids are all out of school!
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

One of the guys my son trains with actually got re-posted by the NHL a while back.

Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

Alexei Ca$hin wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:15 pm
A couple good time-killer reads on The Athletic today.

My son has been showing me Zac Bell trick shot stuff for a while. These guys are all having their 15 minutes while the kids are all out of school!
I enjoyed Down Goes Brown's piece a lot.

I started reading the sports movie one but there were so many picks (The Big Lebowski?) that do not exist in my brain as sports movies that I tapped out.

I've largely checked out on Coronavirus sports pieces, though. Part of it is that my brain is unwilling to engage with sports stuff, part of it is that most of the articles are the explicit wheel-spinning stuff that they usually churn out during the offseason.
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

Yes I'm pretty much the same, mostly checked out of actual sports stuff. But I liked the peripheral stuff like the Zac Bell and Zayde Wisdom (what a name) profiles today.

I usually don't bother with Down Goes Brown stuff but now I have all the time in the world for it.
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

I burned out on DGB a while back, in part because I damn well know where the Red Wings will end up on a power ranking. Also because a lot of his ideas end up being more cute than good. But him running into something that was legitimately frustrating was a nice turn.
practice

Post by practice »

bought this shirt earlier, only had XL left but whatever
practice

Post by practice »

just realized that the chilli recipe i've had success with was a recipe that was just a post on competelevel that i can't find now! must have been resum who posted it? it didn't have tomatoes was a notable aspect of the recipe
nick

Post by nick »

i remember those chili recipe posts... simpler times :(
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

Sorry man
practice

Post by practice »

the important thing is, we survived
resum

Post by resum »

I wouldn't want you guys to be without chili

I have no idea what I posted and searching my email only brings up a very vague guide I emailed a friend once. Something like this, but the ratio of meat/beans might be quite different than what you like -- this is a very rough guide (I haven't made chili in years)

ingredients:
2 onions
4-6 cloves garlic
1-2 lbs stew-type meat (probably I was deep into oxtail at the time, or short ribs, but whatever you like -- omit and add more beans for veg)
2/3 lb dried beans, pre-soaked (2-3 400 ml tins of prepared), whatever you like.

12-24 dried chiles (a mix of hot and mild -- a few morita/chipotle for spice/smoke, maybe some arbol to add heat, I like guajillo for overall flavour, but maybe pasila/ancho/mulato might be better if you like things less hot. Whatever you can get your hands on)
1 tbsp cumin

optional:
tomato paste
paprika paste
gelatin
dark cocoa / molasses / piloncillo or brown sugar
other umami-boosting ingredients (marmite, miso paste, etc.)

Process: if using meat, generously brown on all sides in some oil. Set meat aside. Sweat onions and garlic (add more fat if needed) until soft. Fry out umami type ingredients / a couple tablespoons tomato paste / paprika paste, if using. Add beans and cover with boiling water, hold at a simmer until beans are fully tender. Toss a bay leaf or two and some peppercorns in while the beans cook, and add water as needed to keep beans covered.

Once beans are getting there, lightly toast chiles in a dry skillet. De-stem and de-vein the chiles. Soak the chiles with the cumin in boiling water for 10 minutes or so, then puree (I use an immersion blender container and the immersion blender itself to keep the chiles from floating up).

Once beans are fully cooked (fully! the acidity of the chiles will inhibit cooking if added too soon) chop meat, add back to pot, along with chile puree. Simmer until you are happy the meat is fully cooked and tender -- this amount of time varies a lot depending on what you are using. Adjust seasoning and bitterness using salt / other optional ingredients.

If you use a very lean cut of meat, or are going veg (but are not committed to absolute vegetarianism/veganism), adding a packet of gelatin can really improve the texture and make things seem more rich/satisfying. This is a bit less necessary if you use a lot of chickpeas since they thicken things up quite a bit.
practice

Post by practice »

oh man that's the one I remember! thanks for posting it. I did basically what I remembered of that combined with this one https://www.homesicktexan.com/2009/02/m ... ecipe.html but with beans, I definitely didn't do beans separately though just put them in with all the acidity of the chilis and cooked for a long time, they tasted good enough. I used all the dried chilies I had left which I think was pasila x anaheim x habanero x arbol, was really spicy but nice and dark, used a can of tomatoes too even though the recipe said not to, and got really interesting chuck from a fancy restaurant butcher which is open to the public now and way less busy than grocery store places. I am concerned about finding the necessary chilies to do it all again.
nick

Post by nick »

A pal of mine set up an Olympiad for these times. He's Aussie so most of the contestants are still down there. We are three events deep into nine -- number of pushups non-stop, time to chug two cans of beer (or soft drinks -- there's at least one sober guy in the competition), 5-km run today... needless to say, because of the number of Aussies who, as a people, are known for nothing if not their athleticism and their drinking (also their racism!), I'm near the bottom of the heap so far. Hoping that future events, which will include a gastro challenge and a video gaming one in the next couple of days, that I rise to at least mid-pack. Fucking dude ran a sub-17 minute 5-km the day after he downed two beer cans in 30 seconds.
nick

Post by nick »

Anyway, I ran my fastest 5K ever this morning because of *competition*.
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

17 minutes to run 3 miles, fuck

How many push-ups can you do in a row
captain

Post by captain »

the only things i do these days are do my job from home, ride my bike, play switch and cook good things. beers are involved with all of those activities. it's really not unlike my non-COVID life
nick

Post by nick »

Me So Hronek wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:39 pm
17 minutes to run 3 miles, fuck

How many push-ups can you do in a row
Not anywhere near the 59 or whatever the winner had! I've had a bum wrist for months though and that didn't help.

Today was the timed gastro challenge -- consume, in order, a glass of water, a full apple (core included), a full size Mars bar, and a can of baked beans (including opening it) with a teaspoon. I feel I did pretty good in getting that all done in ~3 minutes or so, and I surprisingly don't feel like I want to die at all. If anything,
nick

Post by nick »

It's all basically one big dumb frat house challenge
practice

Post by practice »

I shaved my head with clippers and number two, I look like Getzlaf c. 2015