Compete Level

Advanced statistics are old news, friendship is the best way to judge players
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draft Analysis for Whale Emoji Fart Emoji
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Custom Title: Doggles TM Doggles
(I did this because my brain is pure stress right now and I wanted to focus on something else.)

With nine drafts in the books, it’s time for me to look back at an exciting history of drafting for Doggles TM Doggles, CHARA DENTIST, Cash Muzzin Millionaire, Whale Emoji Fart Emoji, and many other dumb names. Spoiler: Mistakes were made.

2010: My first pick, eighth overall, was Alexander Burmistrov, who was supposed to be Pavel Datsyuk but had all of 20 points in his first year and was poached by Sutterfamily as I waited for him to not suck. The next pick was Sergei Bobrovsky. Whoops. Next I drafted Brendan Smith, the only Red Wing prospect I’ve ever drafted, thinking he had offensive upside. He’s topped out at 19 points in an NHL season. The next three picks were Chris Kreider, Mikael Granlund, and Ryan Johansen. In the third round I selected Calvin De Haan, presumably because he was the 12th overall pick, but he has topped out at 25 points in a season. A few picks later the Ghost of Snotboogie selected Evgeny Kusnetsov. In the fourth round I picked Tomas Tatar, the only Red Wing prospect I’ve ever drafted. He has his ups and downs but is mostly worth rostering for cheap. Still on my fantasy team! In the fifth round I selected Jake Gardiner, who was pretty good on my team!

Verdict: D. I whiffed on my first three picks and got two decent, but not star-caliber players in the later rounds.

2011: My first pick, fifth overall, was Sean Couturier, whose last name is a pain in the ass to spell and whose offensive upside didn’t appear until his seventh year. Mark Schiefele was selected a few picks later. My second-round pick was Charlie Coyle, who is still on my team despite only having a lot of mediocre years. My third-round pick was Tomas Jurco, the only Red Wings prospect I’ve ever drafted. He had a promising first half-year and then never lived up to his potential. John Gibson was the next prospect selected. My next pick was Matt Puempel, who stinks. My next pick was Jonas Brodin, who has almost no offensive upside. Very smart.

Verdict: D+. The first two picks were alright, everyone else stinks. Maybe don’t draft defensemen who have no offensive upside.

2012: My first pick was Matthew Dumba, who gradually developed his offensive game and is now on a sweetheart deal for a 50-point defenseman. My next pick was Olli Maatta, whose name I cannot type without hearing Pierre Maguire over-pronounce it. His rookie year he had 29 points and I was optimistic about him but he’s never topped it and gets hurt a lot. My next pick was Brendan Gallagher, a pain in the ass but a surprisingly productive player. Good job, me. Xavier Ouellet and Ryan Sproul were my next two selections, each one the only Red Wings prospect I’ve ever drafted. Ouellet at least made the NHL for a stretch. I fondly recall seeing him score a goal at Joe Louis Arena and “X Gon Give It to You” blasting out. One of five goals he’s scored in the NHL. Sproul had offensive upside but stunk in the pros. Next I selected 2018 fantasy phenom Martin Marincin, who has three career NHL goalies. My last pick was Devils goaltending prospect Scott Wedgewood, who has played 24 NHL games. The next selection Rowsdower picked Nikita Kucherov, because he is good at drafting and I am not.

Verdict: C-. Dumba is actually a valuable asset now. Gallagher was good until I lost his services. Everyone else stinks.

2013: I got the second overall pick, narrowly missing out on Nathan Mackinnon, and chose Jonathan Drouin. He’s infuriating to own because he was in and out of the lineup a lot during his second year and never developed into a legitimate star. He’s been pretty good this year. My next pick was Max Domi, who has the exact same NHL point total as Drouin in 19 fewer games. He was bad in his second and third years but now he’s good again. My next pick was Petr Mrazek, the only Red Wing prospect I’ve ever selected. He had a few good years as Detroit’s 1A goaltender but is not great anymore. I picked Frederick Gauthier, because anytime you can get a low-offense, future fourth-line center, you do it. I picked Zachary Fucale because he was the future of the Habs in net. I picked Philipp Grubauer, who is a solid back-up goaltender and it doesn’t feel dumb to roster back-up goaltenders.

Verdict C. First three picks were fine, even if they had their ups and downs. The next two were terrible, and Grubauer, who cares.

2014: I did not select a Red Wings player this year (I have only done so once), and of course it happened the year when Dylan Larkin looked like he might top out as a 3C but is now a productive 1C. My first pick was Leon Draisaitl, good job me. My next pick was Michael Dal Colle, bad job me. My second rounder was Sonny Milano, who showed flashes last year of being an offensive contributer but Torts hates him so he’s likely an AHLer until he gets traded. Nick Schmaltz panned out nicely as a third-rounder, thought he might crater after he went to Arizona but that hasn’t happened so far. Thatcher Demko still seems like a top-level goaltending prospect, and one upside of it taking fucking forever for the Canucks to bring him up is that they actually have some players / hope now. Alex Nedeljkovic is a Hurricanes goaltending prospect, playing OK in the AHL. Maybe he’ll get a shot next year since their goaltending situation is abysmal. Jayce Hawryluk has a dumb name but he’s at least playing with the Panthers now.

Verdict: B. Draisaitl is a legitimate star, Schmaltz is a solid contributor, Demko can still pan out as a starting goaltender. Milano and Dal Colle are likely busts, the other two, who knows.

2015: Since I was stinging from passing on Dylan Larkin, I chose my first-ever Red Wings prospect, Evgeni Svechnikov with my first pick. He’s been hurt a lot and not great when he’s played. The next two picks were Kyle Conner and Mikko Rantanen. Brock Boeser was my next selection and he’s been way better than I expected. I repeated the Bruins’ mistake of drafting Zach Senyshyn, some HFBruins people insist he’s doing well in the AHL and is just a project but come on. Ryan Gropp sounds like a fake name and he stinks. Christian Fischer is an NHL player but not a very good one.

Verdict: C-. Boeser was a great pick, the rest of them are bums.

2016: I was excited to take Sure Thing Offensive Contributor Jesse Puljujarvi with my first selection and boy has he been frustrating. Maybe he pans out in the long-term but he’s up and down from the AHL and barely does anything when he’s up. Better players were selected after him but I had no inkling on passing on him so why bother regretting the pick. My next selection was Kieffer Bellows, who didn’t do well in his one year at BU, did well in his one year in the WHL, and isn’t doing much at the AHL level this year. Charlie Macavoy was taken a few picks later. My next selection was Dennis Cholowski, the first Red Wings prospect I’ve ever drafted. I figured the Wings had to see something in him and rolled the dice, and so far he seems to be exceeding expectations. My final pick was Dylan Sadowy, my first ever Red Wings prospect, and boy is he paying off this season, scoring a point-per-game… in the ECHL.

Verdict: D. Puljujarvi is a huge disappointment. Cholowski is promising.

2017: I believe this is the draft after I won the league despite starting AHL-bound Puljujarvi for much of the year. Good times. I picked Timothy Liljegren at the end of the first round, too early to tell on him but the Leaves are going to need ELC contracts on defense at some point. My second-round pick was Jason Robertson, who was great at the World Juniors this year. My third-rounder is Rangers goaltending prospect Igor Shestyorkin, who presumably will come over from the KHL at some point. He looks like a solid pick based on his insane KHL stats. My fourth-rounder was Filip ME SO Hronek, my first-ever Red Wings draft pick. He’s looked great in his current stint on the Wings and might have more offensive upside than Cholowski. My final pick was Keith Petruzelli, my first-ever Red Wings prospect. He had a rough first year in college but seems to be doing better now. Too early to tell on him, but the Wings will need a goaltender at some point.
Verdict: A grade would be premature but I’m happy with the first four picks, and I knew Petruzelli was a shot in the dark.

2018: Quinn Hughes is still in college, but I haven’t heard any major concerns. Jonatan Berggren had the honor of being the first Red Wing prospect I’ve ever selected, and he celebrated by scoring a very fancy goal in September and then getting hurt. Jordan Kyrou was the next pick and would have been a smarter selection. In the third round I picked Jay O’Brien, who was largely invisible at the World Juniors. Maybe he’s a late-bloomer. Oliver Rodrigue is an Oilers goaltending prospect with middling stats in the Q. Kaapo Kahkonen has been great for the Wild’s AHL team this year.

Verdict: Too early, obviously, but I’m most excited about Hughes and Kahkonen.

Post subject: Re: Draft Analysis for Whale Emoji Fart Emoji
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 pm 

Custom Title: Good Hockey Man
I did a bit of analysis in the summer too, I didn't post it at the time, but here we are:

I took over this team from patrick cokane, who didn't exactly load the pipeline during that critical first entry draft. He famously chose Kadri first overall in the first draft. Anyway, I took over the team for the 2011 draft:

2011:
Johnathan Huberdeau (3)
Marc-Andre Gragnani (15)
Linden Vey (39)
Oscar Klefbom (48)
Alex Stalock (51)
Riley Sheahan (60)

C-. Huberdeau was the consensus pick at 3 and is still on my team as a productive forward. He's not star-level, but has been a major contributor. Gragnani at #15 is absolutely laughable but he had shown promise as an offensive d-man in the AHL and had just been called up, seemingly getting a chance to play on the PP for the Sabres. He was out of the league two years later. Klefbom was an okay pick but I never hung onto him long enough, and he's a better NHLer than he is fantasy performer.

2012:
Morgan Rielly (5)
Andrei Vasilevski (17)
Joe Morrow (21)
Beau Bennett (33)
Johan Larsson (45)

B+. Rielly was a decent pick who I traded to practice for Sean Monahan; I believe we're both quite happy with this deal. Vasilevski at 17 is a real coup given that he is an all-star calibre starting goalie already. Morrow, Bennett, and Larsson did nothing. I'm obviously quite happy with this draft, even though it produced two full-time NHLers.

2013:
Tyler Johnson (14)
Antti Raanta (19)
Valentin Zykov (32)
Arturri Lehkonen (38)
JT Compher (39)
Mattias Ekholm (43)
Johnny Gaudreau (49)
Jason Zucker (54)

A-. I didn't have a first rounder this year (I would have picked second) but I still I accumulated a lot of picks in this draft, partly due to offer sheets and partly due to tanking. There are a lot of quality NHLers here, even if they aren't all major fantasy contributors. Gaudreau is probably the best draft choice I ever made given that he is a legit star in the league. Johnson, Raanta, Ekholm, and Zucker are all excellent supplemental fantasy assets, even though none of them remain on my team. Compher is just barely on my squad right now, Lehkonen is in the UFA pool, and Zykov is still trying to find himself. Every single player selected played in the NHL this year, which is impressive.

2014:
Sam Bennett (3)
Kevin Fiala (7)
Nikolai Goldobin (15)
Nikolai Prokhorkin (27)
Juuse Saros (32)
Teemu Pulkkinen (39)
Vince Trocheck (43)
Reid Boucher (51)

C+. I had three early picks and missed on two of them but found good value later in the draft. I was in love with Sam Bennett but his scoring never translated to the bigs. Trocheck is one of my best picks again, he really flew under the radar his first few years in the league, but he has really strong fantasy value. Fiala is still emerging, but he's a solid secondary option. I was torn between Nylander and Fiala and chose Fiala, which I regretted for a long time, but I'm going to bet the players end up closer in fantasy value over the course of their careers than some might have expected. Saros has proven a capable backup goalie who may become a starter in the league one day. The rest all showed offensive promise but nobody actually panned out. The one thing that sticks in my craw is how many good players were selected between Prokhorkin and Saros: Pastrnak, Larkin, Ristolainen, and then Point not far behind.

2015:
Connor McDavid (1)
Zach Werenski (9)
Denis Guryanov (19)
Tyler Bertuzzi (26)
Axel Holmstrom (38)
Rourke Chartier (50)
Gabriel Carlsson (58)

A+ for Connor and Werenski, although Bertuzzi has proven to be a useful fantasy option, despite my nearly giving up on him. Overall, this draft produced a lot of good players in the first few rounds and a whole lot of nothing later (with Panarin as the notable exception) so I can't feel too bad about my later picks. Guryanov was a reach for the Stars and a reach for me as well, that was a horrible pick. I remember having a long list of guys I wanted to select with my pick after Werenski and every single one of them was taken by the time #19 rolled around.

2016:
Matt Murray (10)
Brandon Montour (22)
Vitali Abramov (29)
Ben Hutton (32)
Tyler Benson (34)
Jake Walman (38)
Jon Gillies (46)
Frank Vatrano (55)
Connor Carrick (58)

D+. This was the draft of me selecting older players and it still feels like there is a lot of room for it to turn around. Taking Murray with my first was pretty inspired, even though I'm still not entirely sold on his actual ability. However, he's in a pretty cushy position as the starter for the PNES and helped me win the league last year. Montour is showing promise but he's probably not a real difference maker. Abramov and Benson are producing in the AHL and could be useful fantasy players, but they're far from top prospects. I was convinced Vatrano would be a sneaky good pick but he didn't pan out in Boston like I hoped. The rest are worthy of a shrug and not much else.

2017:
Gabriel Vilardi (4)
Elias Pettersson (9)
Juuso Valimaki (21)
Philippe Myers (33)
Cliff Pu (45)
Tyler Parsons (57)

B. This was the draft of having my player sniped immediately before my selection. Sometimes, this was beneficial, like settling for Pettersson instead of Makar. At other times, detrimental, like missing on Necas and taking Valimaki. That said, Valimaki and Myers show promise. I remember I was absolutely torn between Shestyorkin and Myers and selected Myers because my defensive prospects were dire (missing out on Makar was sad) and I thought I would be able to get Shesty in the next round but NA immediately pounced. Cliff Pu will be remembered as the return for Jeff Skinner and not much else. I'm hoping Vilardi can overcome his back injuries and be a useful fantasy asset but who knows if that will ever happen.

2018:
Andrei Svechnikov (2)
Ryan Merkley (12)
Ty Smith (24)
Colton Point (58)
Alexander Volkov (60)

It's too early to grade this draft but I'm really happy with it especially given the number of picks I had. Svechnikov was the obvious choice at #2 (who I would have considered taking over Dahlin). Given how desperate I was to build up my defensive prospects, Merkley and Smith were obvious selections at each of those positions and I'm really happy with both. I selected Point on the heels of an amazing NCAA season but he has really struggled at the AHL and ECHL levels this year. Volkov has been a productive AHLer, I'm hoping he turns into another one of those randos who slots right into Tampa's middle six and is immediately productive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 pm 

Looking back, I got at least a first line calibre forward or starting goalie from every single draft. That's a lot more than you can say about some real-life GMs!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Or me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

It is funny that some teams (Arizona, maybe?) always seem to get higher picks in shit drafts or lose the lottery and miss out on a sure thing or take the consensus guy at a slot and he doesn’t live up to that promise. I haven’t had super high picks that often, but aside from Draisaitl, they really haven’t planned out.

I thought of that when I saw you got McDavid and I thought of drafting Drouin and Puljujarvi.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:31 pm 

I can't even remember what happened in the McDavid year. I thought my team was progressing and making some good strides but I'm guessing injuries / luck led to me being terrible and then winning the lottery.

It was pretty hard to give up McD in the offersheet process but I think I made a good decision. That salary would have crippled me and forced me to lose some other really good players. I'm hoping Svechnikov is a star for many seasons to come, and I still have an additional 1st to use in 2019. I would appreciate it if Linseman's team could start sucking so I have a shot at those high end guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:34 pm 

People don't really talk about this but Edmonton won the lottery in some down years for first overalls, and then they finished in second last in 2016 and got lotteried out of being able to select Laine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

I could see Svechnikov taking a few years to hit real star status.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

captain wrote:
People don't really talk about this but Edmonton won the lottery in some down years for first overalls, and then they finished in second last in 2016 and got lotteried out of being able to select Laine.

Can't win 'em all, just most of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:50 am 

Oh look, Vilardi was just shut down for the season... that's a total of 36 GP in 2 seasons since being drafted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:22 pm 

Custom Title: Celestial Incinerators
Ha, I should do this too, but I'll just be mocked for how poor my drafting record has been. I've actually done a fair bit of research and picked in line with about where guys were drafted but have had just a ridiculous amount of busts. Like NA I have also over-drafted Wild guys, which after JEE I will never do again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:42 pm 

I'm still pissed about the Barzal-Zacha BULLSHIT.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Cacophony wrote:
Ha, I should do this too, but I'll just be mocked for how poor my drafting record has been. I've actually done a fair bit of research and picked in line with about where guys were drafted but have had just a ridiculous amount of busts. Like NA I have also over-drafted Wild guys, which after JEE I will never do again.

It is pretty amusing that I've also drafted a number of Wild players (Coyle, Brodin, Dumba, Kahkonen), but my success rate on them is way better than my success rate with the Wings.

Also I thought this thread would go down like a lead balloon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:12 am 

Alexei Ca$hin wrote:
I'm still pissed about the Barzal-Zacha BULLSHIT.

I'm a monster :yzerman:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:50 am 

Whooo boy. Not going to go into a lot of detail for obvious reasons but I'll give this a shot. Please clap.

2010:
(5) Jonathan Blum
(20) Mikael Granlund
(30) Mattias Tedenby
(50) Matt Hackett
(59) Evgeny Grachev

D-. Only because Granlund is a great player and I love him. Otherwise this draft was a disaster. Blum was in the AHL as of a year ago I think but I don't know where he is now. Don't know where Hackett is anymore now either and don't care. Tedenby and Grachev left NA years ago. A sign of things to come.

2011:
(9) Mika Zibanejad
(21) Nathan Beaulieu
(33) Zach Phillips
(45) Christopher Gibson
(57) Jamie Oleksiak

D+. Mika was a good pick who I still really like. Beaulieu is an NHL player but has never panned out. Phillips was a total bust; Gibson is ok but will probably never be an NHL player. Oleksiak has sorta figured it out since the PEENS trade, but isn't the player I hoped he'd be. Overall I got 1 guy who is useful, 2 that are in the league that I have cut ties with.

2012:
(2) Alex Galchenyuk
(9) Derrick Pouliout
(14) Griffin Reinhart
(26) Codi Ceci
(36) Joonas Korpisalo
(38) Nicolas Kerdiles

F+. Good lord. Galchenyuk has been frustrating to say the least. He's a good player but gets hurt way too often. Pouliout and Reinhart were terrible picks. Ceci? A warm body in the NHL and a terrible D-man. Korpisalo I still like and he could turn into something. Kerdiles I'll consider a bust. If he can't crack a Ducks team that is on a 10 game losing streak than fuck it. Worst part of this draft is seeing Kucherov, Smith, Rask, etc. going after. What an utter failure I am.

2013:
(4) Elias Lindholm
(16) Josh Morrissey
(28) Niklas Svedberg
(40) Adam Tambellini
(52) Sven Andrighetto

B+. Lindholm I thought was going to be a 'meh' pick, but is now a legit threat since the Calgary and I love watching him play. Morrissey has really improved and is a legit top D guy. Only reason I reached with the grade. Svedberg couldn't even make it as a backup. Tambellini will never be an NHL guy. Andrighetto is a fine depth guy.

2014:
(4) Aaron Ekblad
(16) Alex Tuch
(20) Kasperi Kapanen
(28) Rasmus Ristolainen
(40) Connor Brown
(52) Sami Aittokallio

A. Kinda shocked looking back at this draft as I did surprisingly well. Ekblad hasn't been as great as I'd hoped, but he isn't exactly surrounded with good help defensively. Still puts up points. Tuch is having a great year free of the Wild shackles. Kapanen has looked great this season. If he was elsewhere he'd be even better, although I'm looking forward to seeing how he grows as a player. Risto isn't a great Dman but is good as a fantasy option playing big minutes and putting up around 50 pts a year. Brown is a meh depth guy. Aittokallio was ok in the AHL but I think is overseas for the count now.

2015:
(3) Dylan Strome
(15) Lawson Crouse
(27) Colin White
(28) Joel Erikkson Ek
(39) Matej Tomek
(51) Ryan Pilon

D. Not even sure if that's a fair grade. Strome has been doing ok since going to Chicago. He's clearly an NHL player as he's been way too good for the 'A', but he isn't as good as most people thought. Myself included. Crouse is basically a grinder. Considering who went around him, this was a terrible pick and I hate myself. I hope White figures it out, but things are stacked against him in Ottawa. JEE is still figuring things out, so maybe he works out. He's been good in the AHL this year when sent down but garbage in the big leagues. Tomek I think is giving college a try now? Either way his numbers are not good. I had high hopes for Pilon but something went on in his personal life and he is no longer a professional player. I hope he's ok.

2016:
(8) Mikhael Sergachev
(20) Ilya Sorokin
(44) Linus Hultstrom
(56) Sam Steel

C. Hard to grade this one. I'll give it an average grade for now, but it could go up/down. Sergachev has been great in Tampa. Sorokin is looking great in the KHL, but it's hard to know where he'll be in a year or two. Steel I think will be a good player but needs time in the minors. Hultstrom is a good player and I'm bummed the Panthers wrote him off after signing him as I think he could be a decent player based off his SHL career. I still hope he can become a player for some team.

2017:

(2) Nolan Patrick
(14) Cal Foote
(26) Jesper Boqvist
(38) Ryan Poehling
(50) Carter Hart

Not going to grade this for obvious reasons, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Patrick hasn't been great but I think can at the very least be a ~50 pt player. Foote is going to be great, especially if he stays in the Tampa system. Boqvist seems to have a good future and Poehling has been doing well and growing from what I've seen/read. Hart may be the only goalie I've drafted that will work out if the Flyers don't destroy him.

2018:
(3) Filip Zadina
(15) Dominik Bokk
(36) Jayden Halbgewachs
(39) Alex Barré-Boulet
(51) Adam Gaudette

Won't grade here either. Zadina I hope works out as a goal scorer. Bokk too early to tell. Halbgewachs was a gamble as a guy who lit up the minors and has 19 in 31 in the AHL. Same thing with Barré-Boulet, but he's a point a game guy in the AHL in Syracuse. Gaudette will be a good player but it sucks that Benning and the Canucks won't put him in a role to succeed.

All in all I've been a terrible drafter and a shitty GM. My Canadian brothers definitely know way more than me and it shows. Here's hoping I have more luck in the future. My team is a joke right now but I'm trying to just reset with a piece like Kakko or Hughes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:02 am 

Terrible post full of typo's probably but thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:28 am 
Site Admin

It's hard to say at this point but your last couple of drafts look solid. Carter Hart as your last pick in a draft is real nice.

My only concern with Cal Foote is his offensive ceiling. I've made that exact type of pick a few times (top 15 pick, defenseman more defensive than offensive -- Brodin, Maatta, De Haan all come to mind) and it's tricky because I think those guys tend to make the NHL quicker than offensive defensemen / get more minutes because they're trustworthy, but then you keep hoping they're going to get more than 25 points in a season and keep hoping and keep hoping. I don't know if there's a lower potential for an outright bust with that type of D vs. a risk-taking guy like Ryan Merkley, but I'm definitely trying to avoid drafting them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:21 pm 

Yeah I think you nailed it with the more well-rounded d-men having way lower likelihood of busting but having limited offensive upside. The Boqvists, Murphys, Merkleys and DeAngelos of the world are extremely risky picks, they don't tend to work out very often, but they're hard to pass up for too long in the draft.

I tend to gravitate toward the guys who can score but whose defense is a "work in progress" - as in, they actually work hard in their own zone but just aren't that good at defending yet. Problem is there are very few guys like that in a draft and you're not always in a position to select them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 pm 

Custom Title: shermer high school
Great tread, haha.

Brett Connolly
Chris Kreider
Jhonas Enroth
Bobby Butler
Jared Cowen

Grade: hilarious, F-

Adam Larsson (6)
Tyler Toffoli (18)
Jakob Silfverberg (20)
John Gibson (30)
Ty Rattie (54)

Grade: B (would have been higher but Larsson)

Mark Stone (16)
Oscar Dansk (19)
Pontus Aberg (29)
Scott Laughton (41)
Mark Barberio (47)
Jordan Schmaltz (51)
Tim Bozon (53) WHO THE FUCK IS THIS?

Grade: C+ because stone in 2nd round but otherwise yikes

Nathan MacKinnon (1)
Andre Burakovsky (13)
Shea Theodore (25)
Tristan Jarry (37)

Grade B, which is saying something considering MacKinnon

Nikita Scherbak (18)
Andreas Johnson (42)
Ville Husso (54)
Carter Verhaeghe (58)

Grade F-

Kyle Connor (12)
Ilya Samsonov (14)
Jeremy Bracco (24)
Vince Dunn (36)
Matt O'Connor (38)
Travis Dermott (60)

Grade B-ish??

Clayton Keller (4) hehe
Alex Nylander (6)
Jake Bean (16)
Jake Bean (18)
Dante Fabbro (28)
Adam Fox (40)
Francis Perron (41)

Grade C+, one good player and I almost lost him due to negligence

Eeli Tolvanen (6)
Jake Oettinger (18)
Joshua Norris (30)
Kole Lind (42)
Alexei Lipanov (54)

I guess B-?

Jesperi Kotkaniemi (4)
Rasmus Kupari (16)
Drake Batherson (28)
Akil Thomas (40)
Filip Johansson (52)

This one actually looks pretty damn good at this point except for the part where I forgot to draft and got Filip Johansson but at least it was in the 5th round.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 pm 

Custom Title: shermer high school
You should all be embarrassed that I won this league once, I suck at fantasy hockey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:29 am 
Site Admin

You can Dansk if you want to

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm 

Custom Title: The clutchiest
1 (2): Nino Niederreiter - Seemed like a great choice at the time. Only guy picked after him in the first round who's an obvious better choice would've been Bobrovsky. Never panned out as that top-line guy, however.
2 (23): Joe Colborne - I guess he was a top prospect at one point? He was better than the next two guys picked after him -- Scott Glennie and Jordan Schroeder.
3 (26): Matt Calvert - Missed out on Shattenkirk, Tarasenko and TJ Brodie this round, and Kuznetsov early the next. At least he's been a consistent NHLer, and a consistent 21-24 point guy. Fantasy winner!
4 (47): Dustin Tokarski - If only he'd lived up to Pierre Maguire/Gord Miller's WJC call on his save.
5 (50): Jaden Schwartz - The best player picked in the final round, and the best player I picked all draft. I think I gave up on him early, though. Perhaps in a Phil Kessel trade with practice?

Pretty lack-lustre. C-

1 (8): Mark Scheifele - Jets fans were annoyed when Scheifele was picked instead of Couturier, but that seemed to have worked out. Thankfully, Ghost Fart didn't go off-book, and I ended up with perhaps the best player of the first round this year. Took a few years, however.
2 (24): Zac Dalpe - This seemed like maybe a good call, given he was coming of 57 pts in 61 as an AHL rookie, but he became the definition of a tweener: very effective in the AHL, not at all in the NHL.
3 (26): Simon Despres - Never lived up to offensive expectations. But he wasn't Rocco Grimaldi or whatever Mark Dekanich is.
3 (31): Jon Merrill - Didn't work out!
3 (32): Taylor Beck - Next pick also didn't work out! Missed out on JT Miller, I guess?
4 (44): Luke Adam - Seemed like he had some promise to be a decent-scoring depth forward, but has played in Germany for the past three years. Missed Klefbom a few picks later.
5 (56): Kevin Poulin - Never a bad choice to pick goalies in the late rounds; this one didn't pan out, but at least he played a bit.

Very lack-lustre. One NHLer out of the bunch, but at least he's a top-15 scorer now. D+

1 (3): Filip Forsberg - Got easily the best player in the top 4 of the draft (glad I didn't get sucked into the Fail for Nail sweepstakes!), and the best forward until maybe #16 when Mark Stone was picked.
2 (15): Jacob Trouba - Would've rather had the aforementioned Mark Stone or Andrei Vasilevski, but not a bad pick in a league that isn't purely scoring stats.
3 (27): Sebastian Collberg - Whiff here. Very good junior player, but never put it together in a pro league (NHL, AHL or SHL), at least as a fantasy relevant player. Missed Brendan Galagher a few picks later but there's a bunch of meh between.
4 (39): Ivan Telegin - Took a flyer on a Jets' prospect who was good in the OHL. In retrospect, he was a Thrashers draft pick, and they now don't have an NHL team and finding prospects like him is probably a good part of the reason why!

Two legit top-line/top-D players, two big whiffs. Overall a C+

1 (12): Alex Wennberg - I won the league in 2012, somehow, so I missed out on the top-flight offensive talent earlier in this round. Wennberg seemed like a good pick, and maybe he's not a bad pick, but he's fallen off the past couple of seasons; not sure what happened. At least he's a legit NHLer.
2 (20): Brock Nelson - Missed Raanta by a pick, Nelson had put up great numbers in the NCAA/AHL the previous couple of years. All in all, not bad. A decent depth forward to have had.
2 (24): Dmitri Jaskin - Whiff and a miss. Shea Theodore was next in line here, but otherwise a lot of nothing for a while...
3 (36): Matt Donovan - ...including him.
4 (48): Michael Sgarbossa - Hmmm, what was a better pick, Sgarbossa at 48 or Johnny Hockey at 49? Whoooooops!
5 (60): Darcy Kuemper - This one wasn't the worst.

A couple of legit NHLers, but with limited fantasy upside. Missing out on Gaudreau stings a bunch though. D

1 (5): Nik Ehlers - Another Jet! Fancy that. This turned out pretty well for me.
2 (17): Michael Hutchinson - Went off-book in this one and grabbed a goalie who was playing very well in the AHL at the time and was potentially the saviour to the Jets' lacklustre goaltending. Wasn't bad in a platoon for a few years there.
4 (41): Jori Lehtera - Off-book again. A top-scoring Liiga/KHLer coming over to North America for the first time? He hasn't come close to the 44 points he had in his rookie NHL season, and is now pretty ineffective. Missed Vince Trocheck by two picks.
5 (53): Mike Hoffman - Pretty good pick in the final round.

Not bad overall, I guess. C+.

1 (4): Mitch Marner - Yup. Missed Strome, thankfully.
2 (16): Travis Konecny - I think he's got another gear. Better than most of the next many forwards picked other than Brock Boeser.
2 (17): Connor Hellebuyck - Pretty happy with this one, obvs.
4 (40): Jack Roslovic - Still waiting for him to bust out, but I worry he'll end up being a really good third-liner who can never take the step to becoming a 50+ point guy.
5 (52): Noah Juulsen - Picked a potentially good NHL Dman, but not a good fantasy Dman.

Obviously getting a starting goalie on a good team and a top-10 scorer is huge. Some promise in a couple of the other guys. I'll give myself a B here.

1 (1): Auston Matthews - Duh.
2 (15): Jimmy Vesey - Thought I was being sneaky here. Nope. He's fine. But missed out on DeBrincat, Aho, McAvoy
3 (27): Esa Lindell - Legit quite a good Dman, will never put up the points as long as Klingberg is there (and now probably Heiskenen) but fine for depth on the D.
4 (39): Lucas Johansen - Probably not a good pick! Think I was targetting Walman, who captain got right before me. Just missed Adam Fox and later, Henrik Borgstrom.
5 (51): Tage Thompson - Who knows! Probably won't be as good as Sam Steel or Janne Kuokkanen, who were picked after him but at least he's an NHLer this season?

Matthews will right a lot of wrongs. Lindell and Vesey are fine. C+

1 (3): Nick Suzuki - Have high hopes for him. Seems to be on a good trajectory. In hindsight, Glass, Heiskanen, Makar, PETTERSSON seem like they're better picks. But hopefully not considerably so.
2 (15): Owen Tippett - Pretty happy he fell all the way to 15th for me.
3 (27): Kristian Vesalainen - Wasn't 100% sold on him for the Jets, but he's grown on me/the team. At the end of this season, he'll have played 3.5 years against men before the age of 20. Should be an NHLer next season.
4 (39): Aleksi Heponiemi - I mean, who knows where he'll be as an NHLer, but his playmaking is amazing and he's almost a PPG as a rookie in the Liiga. Good guy to take a flyer on.
5 (51): Daniil Tarasov - Late pick on a goalie. Seems to have been playing really well in Russia lately. Is Pronman's #5 top-ranked NHL-affiliated prospect goalie. One off of Carter Hart.

N/R. Hard to say where this will end up, but this could be a very good draft for me in five years. Not coincidentally, this is also the first year I drafted in the FHL and thus paid a LOT more attention to prospect rankings and scouting reports pre-draft. Likely my best draft so far.

1 (1): Rasmus Dahlin - Duh.
2 (13): Grigori Denisenko - Probably would've taken Merkley or Bouchard here, but glad I got a top-six talent instead.
3 (25): Serron Noel - Wanted Ylonen but feel good about Noel's progression this season and think he'll be good for the Panthers in two or three years.
4 (37): Tyler Steenbergen - In retrospect, would've chosen Alex Barre-Boulet or Dylan Sikura, but one of these days, a junior player who puts up other-worldly numbers in his age-20 season will pan out, right? Right? Seems fine as an AHL rookie this year, anyway.
5 (49): Sebastian Aho - The D. Should be a legit top-4 Dman in the NHL sooner rather than later.

N/R. Feel pretty good about getting a francise player, a top-end talent, and some good potential.