Thee Official 2023-2024 Detroit Red Wings Thread: The best of times and worst of times in shocking proximity

Steve Simmons Not Allowed
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Re: Thee Official 2023-2024 Detroit Red Wings Thread: LUCAS MOTHERFUCKING RAYMOND

#681 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Slaf gets a redirect, 4-3

Should’ve been a whistle at the other end when the Habs tripped Perron into Primeau and Perron was stuck under him for 20 seconds
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Re: Thee Official 2023-2024 Detroit Red Wings Thread: LUCAS MOTHERFUCKING RAYMOND

#682 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

4:30 left, would be a great time to call the Habs for the interference they get away with constantly
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#683 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Sprong whiffs on a glorious chance
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#684 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Empty net time
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#685 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Some Hab slammed Raymond’s head into the crossbar
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#686 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

DAVID MOTHERFUCKING PERRON

Three seconds left
nick

#687 Post by nick »

Is your heart ok?
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#688 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

These two games have probably taken years off my life

I was mentally preparing to be very sad when Perron took that shot
linseman

#689 Post by linseman »

i am literally starting to take blood pressure medication tomorrow morning
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#690 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Welp Kane penalty
Cacophony

#691 Post by Cacophony »

Flyers pulled the goalie and gave up an ENG oh my god
Cacophony

#692 Post by Cacophony »

That’s horrible. Sorry my dudes
nick

#693 Post by nick »

The worst
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#694 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Kane didn’t celebrate his shootout winner, he definitely knew the result of the Caps game
linseman

#695 Post by linseman »

there's always next year, eh NA?
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#696 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Cacophony wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:41 pm Flyers pulled the goalie and gave up an ENG oh my god
And they had a goal wrongly disallowed earlier in the game!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#697 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

linseman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:50 pm there's always next year, eh NA?
A lot more expectations from the start next year

I hope there’s some more youth in the lineup
linseman

#698 Post by linseman »

that last two games was definitely the most excited i've been as a wings fan in a long time

feeling optimistic!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#699 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

[media] [/media]

This was very, very apparent
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Re: Thee Official 2023-2024 Detroit Red Wings Thread: The best of times and worst of times in shocking proximity

#700 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

[deep sigh] It's grading time

Lucas Raymond A: He became a star in the last month, scoring huge goals at huge times, and it doesn't feel like he hit his ceiling. Still best with Larkin but was able to carry his own line for stretches.
Dylan Larkin A-: Missed 14 games, which was one of the reasons the Wings missed the playoffs, as he's clearly the engine of this team. New career high in goals. Still gets hot-headed at times, especially when someone takes a shot at his neck / back, which I understand but he needs to be on the ice.
Alex DeBrincat B-: He basically ended up with the same stat line as last year, aside from going from -31 to +1 in +/-. Goalscorers are streaky and inherently frustrating because of that, and DeBrincat had a bunch of assists during his drought over the last few months of the season, so he wasn't entirely a passenger. But he seemed like he'd coast to 40 goals after the first month of the season and that did not happen. Too deferential to Kane when they were on a line together, I think having him with Larkin and Raymond was a better choice. Still can't complain about trading Bertuzzi's pending-UFA contract, Dominik Kubalik, and loose change for a legit top-six forward.
JT Compher B: When he signed that contract the theory was that he wouldn't repeat his scoring numbers from Colorado with a lesser supporting cast, and while 48 points in 77 games doesn't blow the doors off the hinges, it's almost exactly the pace he had last year. High-floor, low-ceiling 2C. Great on the PK with Copp. Seemingly went through all possible linemates, especially when Larkin was out, and I'm not sure if he ever found his guys.
Patrick Kane A-: For 2.75 million and no acquisition cost, they got 47 points in 50 games. I don't care for the dude, but this was the best possible outcome when they signed him considering how rough he looked in the playoffs last year for the Rangers. He gave the team a certain swagger that it lacked. Does he backcheck? No. Did he get worn out a bit at the very end of the season? Yes. But it was clear that they were a better team with him on it. He seemed to love being in Detroit and I think he'll return, albeit for more money.
David Perron C+: 47 points in 76 games isn't a huge drop-off from 56/82 the previous season, but the David Perron Experience was noticeably tougher this year. He regularly took offensive zone penalties, often late in games, his even-strength performance was frequently uninspired, and he simply didn't score as many goals. The blast to tie the final game ruled and he's still great at maintaining possession along the boards on the PP, but ideally if he comes back, it's in a third-line role at half the price.
Daniel Sprong B: Not sure how to grade Sprong, who scored 18 goals / 43 points for two million dollars, but really wasn't up for the grind at the end of the season. I don't think he'll be back but I hope they can get production from a rookie in his spot next year.
Michael Rasmussen B: Continues to take baby steps offensively. Had some down stretches in terms of engagement, still hoping he finds another level of physical intensity. Becoming an important match-up forward, though, and could hit 20 goals 40 points next year.
Andrew Copp C-: Plays tough defensive minutes, kills penalties, but having the same amount of points as Rasmussen with a 5.625 cap hit is... not ideal.
Joe Veleno C+: Continues to tick up in points, has stretches where he's feeling it offensively. Not bad for a fourth-line center who can move up if necessary, but definitely not a guy who should be with Kane and DeBrincat, for example.
Jonatan Berggren B-: Six points in twelve games, but also had some bad giveaways that kind of proved why the Wings didn't have him up all year. A candidate to replace Sprong's role / production, but more likely traded.
Klim Kostin D: It did not work out, with four points in 33 games, and I think he was frustrated about not getting better deployment. 10 points in 18 games for the Sharks, so maybe he's right, or maybe the Sharks are dogshit and didn't care about his -10 in those games. A whiff by Yzerman.
Austin Czarnik D-: Can you knock the hustle? Yes. He played 34 games, got one assist. They played him with Kane and DeBrincat at times! The forward version of Brian Lashoff. I will be disappointed if I see him in a Wings uniform again.
Zach Aston-Reese D: He only played three games, would have rather called up a young player.