2023-2024 Offseason Thread: Only New Coaches

Steve Simmons Not Allowed
sutterfamily

Re: 2023-2024 Offseason Thread: NHL Sets May 7th as official date of rigging lottery against Wangs

#61 Post by sutterfamily »

I watched the lottery just now. After Ottawa was still 7th I kept watching until THANK GOD Montreal stayed 5th and then I turned it off. Glad CHI didn't win.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Re: 2023-2024 Offseason Thread: NHL Sets May 7th as official date of rigging lottery against Wangs

#62 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Looked at the first few mock drafts to hit Twitter, and the Wings got Trevor Connelly (barf) in one and Igor Chernyshov (seems fine) in the other. Winger's probably their area of biggest need and I think they'll have options.

FWIW, the SNES got Parekh in both.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#63 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

The Athletic has one up now. SNES got... Parekh again, and the Wings somehow got Konsta Helenius, which I do not think will happen.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#64 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

I don’t know if I buy Chicago taking Demidov over Levshunov. I don’t really care who they take, since it’s not like the other will fall to the Wings, but defensemen rise and scoring wingers fall.
Cacophony

#65 Post by Cacophony »

I just can’t wait for the Wild to take a big body at 13!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#66 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

I’ve seen them get pretty much every position, not sure who the Charlie Stramel of this draft class would be
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#67 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

I just read one that had the Wild take Konsta Helenius (productive, somewhat undersized at 5'11" center) and that makes sense to me.
sutterfamily

#68 Post by sutterfamily »

Grand Moff Larkin wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:08 pm Looked at the first few mock drafts to hit Twitter, and the Wings got Trevor Connelly (barf) in one and Igor Chernyshov (seems fine) in the other. Winger's probably their area of biggest need and I think they'll have options.

FWIW, the SNES got Parekh in both.
Feels like mock drafts have been wildly inaccurate the last few years. Or probably forever. But hey, I'd totally be happy with this!

(what will happen now is he will be available at 7 and they pick some other dumb guy)
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#69 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Pronman's been pretty good at sensing which direction teams may take, I'll put more stock in one straight from him in a month
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#70 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Wheeler did a mock today, SNES got Parekh, Wild got Eiserman, Wings got Brandsegg-Nygard (and some chirping about how they need to take higher-skill guys like Sennecke or Connelly instead of a typical Wings pick)
practice

#72 Post by practice »

it's pretty staggering how long he held on. he looked pretty red and bloated this year, I hope he takes a bit of a break and lives off the 2 year extension that hasn't even kicked in yet
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#73 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Was he ever a good coach? He always seemed exasperated when they cut to him on the bench, like he couldn’t believe that things wouldn’t go his way. Not far off from Marner, to be honest.
practice

#74 Post by practice »

I don't know much about hockey coaching and Berube being a star candidate informs my opinion that they don't matter all that much but I never liked a single room talk he was filmed giving, where he would just repeat stay with it. and d-zone breakouts along the board were always weird even however many years in, like it was never clear to me whether a winger expected something hard around the boards ( :pierre: ) that they would meet closer to the blueline, or something softer they would retrieve closer to the corner. and in the last few years they became so tunnel visioned in pushing the play into the o-zone along the boards, and even inside the zone, looking for bad angle rielly shots from against the boards. it seemed to me anyway that players had been discouraged from looking cross-ice at all.

but anyway I'm sure Berube will be as bad.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#75 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Steve Simmons saying that Joel Quenneville should be the next Leaves coach

Both of them should be dropped onto a tiny island and left alone forever
sutterfamily

#76 Post by sutterfamily »

practice wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:02 am I don't know much about hockey coaching and Berube being a star candidate informs my opinion that they don't matter all that much but I never liked a single room talk he was filmed giving, where he would just repeat stay with it.
What about this one?

sutterfamily

#77 Post by sutterfamily »

I mean, sure they lost that series, but...
practice

#78 Post by practice »

when a guy is trying to skate by you, you get in his fucking way. could have done with remembering that
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#80 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Like a moth to the flame of offensive stars and no goaltending

(NJ has a much better blueline and more depth up front)