We Have to Stop Talking About TMNT, says Nick

Where ideas hang out, and do whatever!
Rowsdower

Re: We Have to Stop Talking About TMNT, says Nick

Post by Rowsdower »

Does anyone remember Bucky O'Hare? It was a comic and a very short-lived cartoon series. Anyway, I had a set of the VHS tapes and really enjoyed the toys:

Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

I remember Bucky O'Hare but I'm trying to remember in which capacity I was familiar with it, since I definitely didn't have the toys. I think I might've had an issue of the comic or rented the NES game (which is supposedly one of the hardest on the system).

It does crack me up how clearly they're aping TMNT figures.
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

We were a Sega family. I don't have an attachment to Mario, Zelda, or any of the main Ninetendo series. I did have a friend in my neighborhood that had a Super Nintendo, so I played Turtles in Time at his house and we played this one at mine:

Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

The only experience I had with Sega stuff was a used GameGear I think I inherited from my cousins. I don't know if it had any other games than Sonic.

I got the NES a year or two later than most people, had maybe 10-12 games but played a bunch through rentals, and then got the SNES. I never ended up getting an N64 because by then I was busy with hockey and spending my money on that or on CDs.

I know absolutely nothing about the Sega TMNT game, going to read up on it now. The first TMNT was a good game to rent because the first level was pretty fun and then you had to do the im-fucking-possible swimming / bombs level and hey I'm never, ever going to beat that level. It was like that one level of Battletoads. TMNT 2: The Arcade Game was legitimately fun, a friend of mine had that so I played it more often.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Ah so that game was a different version of TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, the SNES game, that was itself a version of the second TMNT arcade game. I haven't played any of them!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Purgatory is just a three-minute loop of trying to beat this level and running out of time/turtles/life.
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

There's a great How Did This Get Played? episode about that game.
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

There was a pizzeria with a TMNT arcade game in the mall where my parents' store was. I'm guessing that I pumped hundreds of dollars worth of quarters into that thing over the years.
captain

Post by captain »

Bucky O'Hare is an all-time great NES game and the cartoon has an absolute banger of a theme song:

Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

What kind of store did your parents run? I really like the idea of it being a Spencer's Gifts.

The pizzeria in my home town (Four Brothers, which is kind of a chain in the Hudson Valley and very good) had a Pac Man machine for a couple of years in the late eighties, but then they remodeled and took it out. I was sad.

I vaguely remember going to the mall arcade in 4th or 5th grade and playing the TMNT Arcade Game and probably NBA Jam, didn't spend much time there though.
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

captain wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:12 pm
Bucky O'Hare is an all-time great NES game and the cartoon has an absolute banger of a theme song:

Hell yeah!
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

Grand Moff Larkin wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:15 pm
What kind of store did your parents run? I really like the idea of it being a Spencer's Gifts.
They had a pet store at that mall (everything but cats and dogs). They eventually transitioned to an aquarium store closer to where we lived.

I spent a lot of time wandering around that mall on my own between ages 4-8 and somehow not getting abducted.
The pizzeria in my home town (Four Brothers, which is kind of a chain in the Hudson Valley and very good) had a Pac Man machine for a couple of years in the late eighties, but then they remodeled and took it out. I was sad.
Four Brothers is still around. I used to go to the one in Mahopac with my grandparents.
linseman

Post by linseman »

i think i'm in the right age demo but i never really vibed w/ the turtles for whatever reason

my only TMNT-related memory is we went to see secret of the ooze for one guy's birthday party
linseman

Post by linseman »

i always fuckin' loved pizza and swords though so i'm not sure what was up
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Rowsdower wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:28 pm
Grand Moff Larkin wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:15 pm
They had a pet store at that mall (everything but cats and dogs). They eventually transitioned to an aquarium store closer to where we lived.

I spent a lot of time wandering around that mall on my own between ages 4-8 and somehow not getting abducted.
Four Brothers is still around. I used to go to the one in Mahopac with my grandparents.
Yeah I still get Four Brothers when I visit my mom, which, uh, might happen this year? Who knows!

Beyond the threat of abduction, you were a prime candidate for being lured into a low-level crime warehouse run by a nefarious ninja.
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

Grand Moff Larkin wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:16 am
Beyond the threat of abduction, you were a prime candidate for being lured into a low-level crime warehouse run by a nefarious ninja.
Oh man, I wish:

I was mainly at that mall on the weekends. My grandma didn't like me being there a lot, so I ended up staying with her pretty often. That worked out great because she would tape TMNT (and other cartoons) episodes for me to watch when I visited, I was allowed to drink soda when I was there, I got to eat homemade Italian food, and there was a card shop about a mile away from her house that she would take me to.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

My most crystallized memory of going to the mall when I was a kid was when my best friend's dad took us to the Poughkeepsie Galleria in 4th or 5th grade and I knew I didn't feel well. When I got there I threw up by the entrance to the mall and there were distinct pieces from the orange I'd eaten earlier that day, like wow, look at those.
Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower »

Vomiting in public is a very kid thing.

My parents brought me to a farm to check out some animals when I was pretty young. I remember walking into a barn and immediately puking due to the manure smell.