:davidbooth:

Where ideas hang out, and do whatever!
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

:davidbooth:

Post by Me So Hronek »

Don't know if this story is fully known, but https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wh ... d-n1130551 happened in the town just south of Ann Arbor. The person this asshole was heckling is the owner of two Mexican restaurants in Ann Arbor that I've been to and enjoyed.

I did see that one of the racist asshole's sons came out and condemned his comment.
patrick cokane

Re: What the hell was the name of the politics thread?

Post by patrick cokane »

wasn’t it called “:davidbooth:” or something
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Re: :davidbooth:

Post by Me So Hronek »

That sounds right
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

Welp, I voted for Bernie today at least
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

No school, no activities, no nothing for (at least?) the next two weeks. This will be fun for the kids.
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

My kids are out of school until April 6th. I don't think any of their activities will stay on / even if they do, we probably won't go.

In Very Exciting News, someone with a now-confirmed case went to the YMCA here last Friday and used the men's locker room. I have worked out there three times since and been in there multiple times almost every day because Neu! 15's preschool is there. Things are great!
nick

Post by nick »

Schools in Ontario are closed for three weeks now (next week is March break, then closed for the two weeks after that). Same in Manitoba. Most universities have shut down, all public gatherings have stopped, and I got the email from my employer on Friday to work from home until at least April 3rd if functionally feasible. Thankfully I expected it and brought home my laptop and everything else I might need. Gonna get real tight with Katie also working from home too...

We were supposed to be in Savannah/Hilton Head yesterday to Tuesday -- Katie's parents drive down every spring for 6 weeks so we were going to visit. So, yeah, we pulled the chute on that trip Wednesday night. Didn't particularly want to be at the whim of an untesting country with a medical system taped together with gum and (67 dollar) bandaids.
patrick cokane

Post by patrick cokane »

pretty hard to work from home at a restaurant, so we'll see what happens here. yesterday, three people, including me, called in sick (there's a hopefully unrelated chest/nose thing going around work right now), and our boss probably should have stayed home sick too, but came in anyway. he also said his wife may have been exposed to someone with covid-19.

this is probably going to be like when norwalk ripped through a different restaurant i worked at five or six years ago, where you're either sick or forced to work a 16 hour day, except this will last for a lot longer than a week.
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

Are people still going into the restaurant? I think we're taking a few weeks off from them, not that we go all that regularly to begin with.

I'm coming to accept that things will likely be shut down until May. April 6th seemed like a "Let's stay out until this point and evaluate then" date.

One of Neu! 15's friends had a birthday party scheduled at the Hands-On Museum in a few weeks, needless to say it's not going to happen.
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

Last night Frau Artillery was very freaked out that she had it because of nausea (one of the lower-frequency symptoms) and a low fever. Fortunately she seems fine this morning.

Yesterday was weird as hell. Kid Artillery had a half-day that let out at 1:30, Neu! 15's preschool lets out at 1pm. So I dropped them off, went to the grocery store (it was Saturday-level busy but not unmanageable -- TP, flour, and most bread was out), then went to the library to pick up some books / movies for thee olde quarantine. As I was there they announced that all branches were shutting down at 6pm for the foreseeable future and due dates were set at April 30th, so I saw people filling up reusable grocery bags with DVDs and books. I think I took out like 25 things, went to the toy store and bought some board games for the kids, then after I walked Barnaby I was going to go to the Y to work out. Right after I parked I looked at my email and saw that it was closed (a woman asked me right after that if I was going because they just shut it down). So I went to the downtown library branch, took out another 25 things, went to the record store and bought a few things, and now I'm pretty set with hanging out in the house until milk / fruit / vegetables run out.
patrick cokane

Post by patrick cokane »

Me So Hronek wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:21 pm
Are people still going into the restaurant? I think we're taking a few weeks off from them, not that we go all that regularly to begin with.
there's a definite drop in dine-in sales, people are still mostly coming during peak times, but it's very empty mid-day and late-night. take-out is spiking and they were smart enough to realize a month ago that now would be a good time to get on doordash.
captain

Post by captain »

the university suspended in person classes for the rest of the term. we're figuring out what to do with staff this weekend and will probably make an announcement tomorrow night. basically, i'm gearing up to work from home for the next few weeks.

made awkward is we have a lot of interviews scheduled for the next two weeks and i'm also in the middle of trying to negotiate a new position (and am being headhunted by another university)

it's great!
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

Frau Artillery isn't psyched about teaching her class online but I think it'll end up being fine.
practice

Post by practice »

my sister and her kids have been here visiting, we have been to every crowded crevice in the city, people from all over Europe and the world, I feel like I should citizens arrest myself
practice

Post by practice »

I kept telling myself to tell her to cancel the trip last week but I never did, just kept saying I would understand if she did and suggesting that if she did we come we could stay more local and be more outdoors. but nope museum of natural history and the tower of London and the like. museum yesterday was packed. every non taxidermy room is full of these stupid interactive press this button to see a map light up shit. as the kids engage with every one of them I scroll through tweets calling people murderers for going out to dinner.
Last edited by practice on Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
practice

Post by practice »

I have begun to wrestle with the burden of responsibility for the death of my parents
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

Sorry practice, I don't think there are many easy decisions to be made. I don't know if your sister has visited before, but it's entirely possible none of her trip would have been refundable. Any way you could get her not to visit your parents for a couple of weeks after she returns?

It seems like the UK is taking the dumbest possible path through this (I saw a clip from a crowded Stereophonics show that happened last night).

I have a hard time going to the "You ate at Applebees, you murderer!" level of indignation because I think everyone will be exposed to this at some point or another. It would be better if everyone self-quarantined, but it also would've been better if I'd started self-quarantining before Friday, you know?

I've thought a lot about how we're very lucky in this situation. Frau Artillery's job can be done online. I'm home with the kids anyway so we don't have to worry about childcare. We have a big house with plenty of stuff the kids can get bored of doing. We have a washer and a dryer so we don't have to go out to do laundry. I have a stationary bike and a rowing machine so I can work out here. I miss a lot of the stuff that has been canceled / shut down / discouraged (sports, live music, restaurants) and at some point I feel like I'll break down mentally, but things could be a lot worse.
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

My wife has been out of town visiting her mom for just over as week. Her mom was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's (not a surprise, we knew it was coming) so she went to Halifax to help her set up some help and stuff.

I was stocked with groceries (for 2 people) and cooked a couple big meals early to make the single Dad week a bit easier... so I didn't need to hit the stores until now, when the panic hit and the shelves are empty!

I'm feeling pretty lucky too though. Can work from home, Jr is 12 now so he can take care of himself for the most part, enough in the fridge/freezer for a while.
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

Hitting the library before it closed was a brilliant move NA. I'm going to need to fill the e-reader or something for the boy ASAP.

And buy him some new Xbox games. He never has time normally for videogames, now he can have at it!
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

I’ve been looking into the Nintendo Switch because I’m pretty sure the kids will need reinforcements in a few weeks.