Delicious Recipes for Dire Times

Where ideas hang out, and do whatever!
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Delicious Recipes for Dire Times

Post by Me So Hronek »

I'm going to post some recipes I enjoy

You can put whatever you want instead of chocolate chips in these scones. Dried blueberries work really well, fresh berries make them too moist. I'd like to try cinnamon chips in them but man they're hard to find. I like preparing the scones the night before, then doing the cream/turbinado on top in the morning.

https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/choc ... ip-scones/
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces
1 cup cold heavy cream plus 2 tablespoons
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling on scones

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup of the heavy cream, egg, and vanilla extract.
Add the pieces of cold butter to the dry ingredients and lightly toss until all of the pieces are coated. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, quickly cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is pebbly. You want there to still be little chunks of butter, about pea size. Don't over mix.
Pour the cream mixture over the dry ingredients and use a fork to gently stir together. Don't over stir, the mixture will be wet and sticky. Stir in the chocolate chips. Still in the bowl, knead the dough a few times until the dough comes together.
Place the scone dough on a lightly floured surface. Gently pat and shape the dough into a 3/4-1-inch thick circle. Use a sharp knife to cut the scones into 8 even triangles. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet and brush with the remaining heavy cream. Sprinkle the scones generously with turbinado sugar. If the scones are soft and have heated up too much, place the baking sheet with the scones in the freezer for 15-20 minutes before baking. I usually do this just to be safe.
When ready to bake, place the baking sheet in the oven, on the middle rack, an bake for 17-22 minutes or until the tops and edges are golden brown and the scones are set but still slightly soft in the center. Remove from the oven and let the scones cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Re: Delicious Recipes for Dire Times

Post by Me So Hronek »

Here's a pork enchiladas recipe I found online a long time ago and wisely saved.

A few notes: 1. If you can find the corn/flour blend tortillas, those work really well and don't fall apart 2. I usually get a 2-3 lb pork loin and it never, ever takes five hours in the oven. Maybe three.
1-2 lb (1/2-1 kilo) pork roast
Tex-Mex rub:

1/4 cup chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin

12 corn tortillas
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 tablespoons flour (or cornstarch for gf)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 small can tomatillo salsa (salsa verde)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
3 cups grated cheese (I used Dutch Gouda, but Cheddar, Monterrey Jack or other cheese would work, too)
salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to taste
sour cream and chopped cilantro to garnish

Preparation:

Combine rub ingredients in a bowl, and rub all over pork roast.
Place roast in a large zip-lock bag and then in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
Now put the roast in a baking dish, cover and bake at least 5 hours at 325ºF/160ºC (or until meat begins to fall apart when poked with a fork).
Drain most of the juice from baking dish, and using a potato masher, shred pork.
Keep warm in the oven.
Wrap corn tortillas in foil and place in oven to warm as well.
Make sauce:
Heat oil over medium heat, then whisk in flour (or cornstarch) to make a roux.
Cook at least one minute, stirring constantly.
Add broth and milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
Cook over medium heat about 15 minutes, or until thickened.
Add tomatillo salsa, sour cream and cilantro.
Stir well and remove from heat.
Coat the bottom of a 9×13″ baking dish with a bit of the sauce.
Remove tortillas from oven, and fill with shredded pork and a bit of cheese, then roll up and place in baking dish.
Repeat with all tortillas.
Pour sauce over enchiladas, and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake in a 400ºF/200ºC oven about 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
Serve garnished with sour cream and chopped cilantro.
practice

Post by practice »

Joe Beef lentils like baked beans https://food52.com/recipes/31135-joe-be ... aked-beans
if you don't have maple syrup you can just use brown sugar, if you don't have Coleman's mustard powder then move to a country that sells it at corner stores, I've never made it without bacon by I'm sure it would be fine without too. I usually end up adding soy sauce and some sriracha, you know I just have fun with it!
2PEENZ

Post by 2PEENZ »

Not exactly a recipe (I can post what I did if anyone is interested), but I got an air fryer for my birthday last year and have just started using it while working from home.

Made beef green chili chimichangas this week...oh my god. Everything out of the air fryer tastes like restaurant food.
linseman

Post by linseman »

yeah we got an air fryer about a month ago and it's been great

making wings tonight
linseman

Post by linseman »

i've made this cake like 6 times in the past couple months (usually with blueberries instead of rhubarb), it's easy and delicious:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/rhubarb-custard-cake
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

My wife "assigned" me an overly complicated Korean beef stew recipe this weekend. Lacking the necessary time and a bunch of ingredients, I knocked it off with a much simpler version and it turned out great.

Sauce:
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 cloves garlic
grated ginger
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (sub for rice vinegar)
2 tbsp chili paste
1 tbsp sriracha
1/2 tbsp tahini (sub for miso paste)

Whisk sauce together. Chop 1 red onion, 4 large carrots. Cube 2 lbs stewing beef. Add everything to slowcooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve on rice or noodles.
linseman

Post by linseman »

Alexei Ca$hin wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:55 am
My wife "assigned" me an overly complicated Korean beef stew recipe this weekend. Lacking the necessary time and a bunch of ingredients, I knocked it off with a much simpler version and it turned out great.

Sauce:
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 cloves garlic
grated ginger
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (sub for rice vinegar)
2 tbsp chili paste
1 tbsp sriracha
1/2 tbsp tahini (sub for miso paste)

Whisk sauce together. Chop 1 red onion, 4 large carrots. Cube 2 lbs stewing beef. Add everything to slowcooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve on rice or noodles.
made this last night and left it in the slow cooker overnight / just ate it for lunch (also added potatoes because we have a ton of them), good stuff! :mact:
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

Awesome! I'm never sure what veggies to put in the crockpot (other than the obvious potatoes, beans, etc.) for fear that they'll end up as complete mush.
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

Finally should be warm enough here to BBQ this weekend
Me So Hronek
Site Admin

Post by Me So Hronek »

I grilled chicken, burger, veggies, and corn last week. Seems like we have cooler temps and some rain ahead of us this week, so I'm passing on another round.

I did get chicken wings to make, we'll see how they do in the oven.
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

Ha, it just started snowing here so maybe I need to re-check the forecast
nick

Post by nick »

I mean, as a Winnipegger, any weather really is bbq weather.