Site Admin

Compete Level 3.0: I Can Access the Admin Panel Again

#1 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

I view not throwing up from stress at 8pm as a major achievement
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Re: Compete Level 3.0: I Can Access the Admin Panel Again

#2 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

I had two spam account requests within ten minutes of opening up registration, changed the CAPTCHA type.

Anyway, here was the conundrum I faced yesterday. Dreamhost automatically updated the version of PHP used on the server, which I can delay but not forever. That made it so you'd get an error after every post, although the post would go through. I was using an older version of PHPBB3 that had accumulated a number of issues (most recently that PMs stopped working), but the worst of said issues was that I could not access the Admin Control Panel. In addition to not being able to add new users (haha) or emoticons (valid), I could not update the version of the board through its typical functionality or back up the board through that interface. I could, however, back up the board through PHPMyAdmin.

I attempted to install the latest version of PHPBB3 via FTP, which went, uh, poorly. I tried 4-5 different variations on this approach. I then tried doing a blank install and importing the DB from the last version, which PHPBB3's panel did not recognize as a valid back-up. I tried formatting that as a TXT file instead, which continually crashed out before it finished processing. At that point I gave up and did CL 3.0. The old MySQL DB was like 400MB.

I still have access to the old board's posts via PHPMyAdmin, which I can fish out with some tedium. (I also have access to the old board's posts, so perhaps the Dale Hawerchuk Erotic Fiction Subforum will live again.) My priority is to find the trades from this CFL season so any moved draft picks can be tracked.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#3 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Genuinely incredible how many spam accounts apply every day. Over 100?
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Hm should I approve PromotionalOrb?