The Joey Moss Memorial 2020 NHL Offseason Thread

Where ideas hang out, and do whatever!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Re: The Joey Moss Memorial 2020 NHL Offseason Thread

Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Alexei Ca$hin wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:57 am
I am usually happy with my decision to stay out of the comments sections, but every now and then you make me question my stance.
I like Pronman's Q and A pieces, it's fun to see which questions he just ignores because they're dumb.

I will say that the comments on Defector (the ex-Deadspin writers' new subscription site) are legitimately funny a lot of the time and currently free of mouthbreathers
nick

Post by nick »

I've been contemplating a Defector sub for a while now; I assume you'd generally recommend?
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Eh, Askarov would have definitely made it, Podkolzin and Amirov probably.

Curious whether Larianov ever takes an NHL head coaching job (cough, Wings, cough). I think he'd need the right roster to succeed, one that is capable of playing strong puck-possession hockey (walks back prior Wings suggestion for now), but I'd rather see how he does than take a spin of the Peter Laviolette wheel.

I don't think enough was mentioned about Sweden's coaching issues with COVID -- at one point their team doctor was running practice. It seemed pretty clear that the coaching staff was slow to make needed decisions, either with the lineup (Alnefelt got way too much rope) or with in-game decisions (putting Holtz/Raymond with a grinder center for most of the tournament, whatever the hell their special teams were doing).
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

nick wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:07 am
I've been contemplating a Defector sub for a while now; I assume you'd generally recommend?
Yeah, I like it a lot. I wouldn't say that this applies to all of the content for either site, but I read The Athletic mostly for specific team content and in-depth analysis, whereas Defector is far better for laughs / broader perspective stuff. So they're complementary reads. A lot of my favorite stuff on Defector (whatever David Roth writes, Drew Magary's Funbags / Jambaroos, Kelsey McKinney's pieces on Zillow listings, Burnecko's Chefector recipes) absolutely wouldn't fit on The Athletic. I do find myself reading about the NFL and NBA more there.
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

I'm not familiar with Defector. Is there much hockey stuff on it?

Related question - I haven't really checked out the Athletic podcasts at all yet. Is there anything recommended there?
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

Jumping topics all over the place, but I was amused by this photo by Alex Kilorn of rink 3 at the Dollard Civic Centre where I spent every Sat/Sun morning for about 3 years.
nick

Post by nick »

Alexei Ca$hin wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:25 am

Related question - I haven't really checked out the Athletic podcasts at all yet. Is there anything recommended there?
On the podcasts, I think Puck Soup is the only Athletic pod I listen to regularly. I guess there's a Jets one, but I only listened to a few, and then the pandemic so.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Alexei Ca$hin wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:25 am

There is not. They have two writers who occasionally post about hockey and there's usually some combination of "We're posting this hockey blog to piss off the rest of the staff, since they don't care about hockey" and goofy "Look at us posting about hockey!" energy. That said, I enjoy reading those posts because their enthusiasm is a nice change of pace from the mostly "Let's stick to business" approach (excluding Down Goes Brown and a few of the other writers on rarer occasions) of The Athletic's hockey coverage. But yeah, subscribing for hockey alone would be a mistake. There are more / better posts from one writer about how he wants to be obliterated by some ultra-powerful laser (I'm not kidding -- Chris Thompson writes stuff like "Two Fusion Researchers Explain The Tokamak Reactor That I Want To Be Hurled Into" in which he interviews MIT post-docs and it's fantastic).

The Athletic podcasts that I listen to are:

The Full 60 with Craig Custance: I don't listen to every episode but he's a likeable interviewer (not someone who'll push all that hard, genial) and that works well for some guests, like Bobby Ryan. I like when Pronman and/or Wheeler stop in, Pronman in particular has a good rapport with CC.

Wings for Breakfast: Being a Wings fan is an obviously prerequisite for tuning in but it's generally pretty good. Max Bultman is the beat writer for the Wings on The Athletic and he's halfway in between an analytically oriented guy and a traditional hockey guy, which is a good spot. He's enthusiastic but not beholden to the team like, say, Helene St. James is. Prashanth Iyer is 100% an analytics guy, and I'd be lying if I said that his commitment to statistics-oriented objectivity doesn't get old at times (at some point I wrote in saying that getting somewhat better would be hugely beneficial to player development, since he's very much in "get as much draft/prospect capital from bringing in bad players on bad contracts" mode and didn't get
a response, but the reaction to the Wings' offseason seemed to course-correct a bit). But he's good at analytics and I think that approach -- pairing the insider knowledge of a beat writer with the analytics perspective -- would be a good template for other team podcasts.
bonertowne

Post by bonertowne »

Hoping that the Avs' move to the Discover Central Division comes with 4% cash back on tickets.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

bonertowne wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:27 am
Hoping that the Avs' move to the Discover Central Division comes with 4% cash back on tickets.
No annual fee! 10% back at the Outback Steakhouse at the rink!
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Alexei Ca$hin wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:12 am
I thought they were going with Marcus Johansson (who was a 3rd line winger in BUF) as their #1 C?

(not joking)
Yeah this has actually been the plan. They are a joke down the middle this season.
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Grand Moff Larkin wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:10 am

Eh, Askarov would have definitely made it, Podkolzin and Amirov probably.

Curious whether Larianov ever takes an NHL head coaching job (cough, Wings, cough). I think he'd need the right roster to succeed, one that is capable of playing strong puck-possession hockey (walks back prior Wings suggestion for now), but I'd rather see how he does than take a spin of the Peter Laviolette wheel.

I don't think enough was mentioned about Sweden's coaching issues with COVID -- at one point their team doctor was running practice. It seemed pretty clear that the coaching staff was slow to make needed decisions, either with the lineup (Alnefelt got way too much rope) or with in-game decisions (putting Holtz/Raymond with a grinder center for most of the tournament, whatever the hell their special teams were doing).
Agree on the Russia stuff. Such a weird makeup for that team. Still can't fathom how they only have 1 right hand shot on the entire roster.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Does Russia still have some weird issues with not using players who opted for Canadian Juniors?

They seemed to be pretty solid on the wings but lacked a gamebreaker at center (Nutsy did pretty well but he was playing too high in the lineup) and clear top-pairing guys on D.
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

I think that this year specifically, most of the CHL Russians stayed in Russia because there were no OHL/WHL games to be played.

There was a comment on one of their early broadcasts about a number of the Russia players being 3rd/4th liners in the KHL to start the season, now being asked to play 1st line minutes. Buy I'm not sure how true that statement is.
practice

Post by practice »

USA-Finland outcome was an absolute dream for my watching setup which is a recorded periscope stream on a laptop but applies to watching on NHL.com too, where if it's a one goal game late in the third you know if you've seen where you are on the timeline that it's not going to OT, which in this case was correct but there was a tying and winning goal in the space between when I was and the end of regulation, what a rush
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Congrats to Finland. Totally deserved!

Good to see old Antti Missedthenetagain on the bench!
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

In Mother Russia loser watch gives YOU!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

U S A

U S A
bonertowne