Thee Officialle 2021 NHL Season Thread: Catch the Fever!

Where ideas hang out, and do whatever!
nick

Re: Thee Officialle 2021 NHL Season Thread: Catch the Fever!

Post by nick »

Poor deployment and poor lineup decisions have caught up to them. Paul Maurice is maybe the best quote and one of the nicer guys in the league, but he actually has kind of stunk up the joint in Winnipeg for the past couple of years.
nick

Post by nick »

As I was saying:
nick wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:30 pm
Lolol the JERTS funkin blow.
patrick cokane

Post by patrick cokane »

what a year
captain

Post by captain »

Alexei Ca$hin wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:54 pm
The Oilers between periods talking heads Principe, Shannon and Stauffer have to be stupidest broadcast crew in the league, right?
It's quite hard to take. Throw in the occasional guest spot from Mark Spector and it's all

:davidbooth:
captain

Post by captain »

Also, the good times keep rolling in Vancouver!
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

The Athletic piece with anonymous former Beejs, hell yeah
When we talked contract it was, “Where do you want to be?” And we said “X” amount, they immediately said, “Nope, no chance.” And we were like, “Well, that’s where we’re at and there are like six other teams willing to go there.” They expected me to give up a ton of money to play there, like they were the only team in the league. When you’re a (restricted free agent) they play hard, hard, hardball, which is unfortunate, because then as soon as a guy gets a chance to get out there, he’s like “Fuck this, I’m gone.” It’s tough to treat players as nothing more than assets and then try to get undying loyalty from them as people.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

I bet one of the players is Sam Gagner

So far it seems like Jarmo playing hardball is the biggest demerit, the players seem fine with Torts (which isn't a surprise, to be honest). Hadn't thought of this:
Player 2: They don’t do any marketing, really, at all, from what I could tell. That’s a problem across the NHL, too, not just Columbus. I don’t think Torts wants individual players singled out. I don’t think Jarmo wants that, either, at all. In a way, I understand that, it’s a culture thing. But on the other hand, how do you garner interest for an individual player? When Panarin was there, he should have been the king of that town. Now, he didn’t speak English or do a ton of interviews, but just talent-wise. Pierre-Luc, you could have pumped him. Jones, you could pump him. There’s just not a ton of that going on.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Dying
If you were hired by the Blue Jackets in an executive position, where would you start? What changes would you make?

Player 1: This is anonymous, right? (laughs) I would say fire the coach, for sure, and I love Torts. I wish I would have had Torts at Dubois’ age, to learn how to be a pro the right way — how to work, how to play, how to focus. I’d love to have him as a coach when I was 20 years old. But I think he’s probably worn out his welcome, and guys have tuned him out. I think you need a coach that wants to bring guys together, play a fun system, score goals … that’ll lead to wins. They have the players, in my opinion, everybody’s just kind of stymied with him.
Alexei Ca$hin

Post by Alexei Ca$hin »

Speaking of which... Laine on the 4th line now with Dalpe and Gerbe. Definitely going to re-sign with the Beej, right?
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Jarmo probably thinks he can tank Laine's RFA contract and sign him for cheap, it would fucking rule to see Laine and his agent's response to the first Beej contract proposal.

Laine needs to be traded to a fun team. It won't happen for many, many reasons but imagine him on the Sens, scoring two goals in a 6-5 loss.
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Feels like Laine will never be in a position/place that will make him happy. At least not at what he perceives to be his worth.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Cacophony wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:03 pm
Feels like Laine will never be in a position/place that will make him happy. At least not at what he perceives to be his worth.
I agree with that, because from what I can tell, he wants a nearly impossible situation. He wants to be a pure goal-scorer playing with a legit #1C on a winning team, he wants to make a lot of money, he wants to be in a particular type of city. Basically he wants to be Alex Ovechkin without (so far) producing like Alex Ovechkin.

I've tried to come up with the best possible spot for him and it's tough. That sort of team usually doesn't have a Patrik Laine-sized hole in their cap space. Maybe he would have done well in Washington if they'd gotten him instead of Mantha. But a big reason they got Mantha was cost certainty.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

I remembered how Laine wanted to go to California or someplace nice and thought "Could the Ducks use him?" But even with Getzsky's salary coming off the books this year, they still have Fowler for five more years at 6.5 and Adam Henrique at 5.825 for three more and I don't know if Zegras is a center in the NHL and if he isn't they have no one there.
nick

Post by nick »

Did Laine actually say anything about wanting a particular type of city or climate? I don't remember that specifically, but maybe I had my Winnipeg Goggles on and totally missed that and mostly heard about his complaints about usage/linemates and the Winnipeg leadership group who maybe he didn't jive with.
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

I can't remember if they were substantiated but I remember rumors he wanted to go to the Kings or Ducks
nick

Post by nick »

Ahahaha but of course
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Can't wait to see what pathetic slap on the wrist that fucking huge POS Wilson gets this time. You'd think trying to concuss 2 top 6 forwards in one of the largest markets would do it but it probably won't!
Cacophony

Post by Cacophony »

Horrible to say but if somebody Steve Moore's Wilson I honestly don't think I'll feel bad. Guy has made millions trying to end careers.